Cable construction question for the ee knowledgeable. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th January 2007, 06:18 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Colescuttle
Default Cable construction question for the ee knowledgeable.

For years I've making my own signal cable out of 26 gauge CCC magnet wire, using either a four-wire or an eight-wire litz braid. It sounds great (better than anything I've heard other than Stereovox), but it is a PITA beyond a meter, especially the eight-wire weave.

Recently I've begun experimenting with a quicker and easier method: inserting either two or four 26 gauge enameled wires into two lengths of teflon tubing and then twisting the two lengths of tubing. Could someone provide me with the ee pros and cons of the two variations of the method I've tried.

Variation 1 - having all the wires in each tube connected to only positive or negative terminals.

Variation 2 - having half the wires in each tube connected to positive terminals and half connected to negative terminals, meaning that each tube is carrying both positive and negative voltage.

Thanks!

George
Old 9th January 2007, 06:30 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Cable construction question for the ee knowledgeable.

Quote:
Originally posted by Colescuttle
For years I've making my own signal cable out of 26 gauge CCC magnet wire, using either a four-wire or an eight-wire litz braid. It sounds great (better than anything I've heard other than Stereovox), but it is a PITA beyond a meter, especially the eight-wire weave.

Recently I've begun experimenting with a quicker and easier method: inserting either two or four 26 gauge enameled wires into two lengths of teflon tubing and then twisting the two lengths of tubing. Could someone provide me with the ee pros and cons of the two variations of the method I've tried.

Variation 1 - having all the wires in each tube connected to only positive or negative terminals.

Variation 2 - having half the wires in each tube connected to positive terminals and half connected to negative terminals, meaning that each tube is carrying both positive and negative voltage.

Thanks!

George

Quick answer is: variation one has more inductance but less capacitance per unit of lenght than variation two.

Now, what that does to the signal in your specific case is another story. Depends on length, in/out impedances, RF noise at your place, etc.

Personally I would prefer variation two. Less susceptible to pick up RF noise, and for short lengths the cap is not an issue.

Jan Didden
Old 9th January 2007, 06:45 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Colescuttle
Default Thank you, Jan.

I really appreciate it. I'll use variation 2 for hook-ups and interconnects, and variation 1 for speaker cables longer than, say, two (?) meters. Actually, I think I'll get a capacitance/inductance meter, and bring a bit more objectivity to the experiment. Should've thought of that before posting.

George
Old 12th May 2007, 11:48 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Id like to know what is better(gainclone amp, PC signal, 2 sound boxes):
a)To have longer input cables and shorter output cables
b)To have longer output cables and shorter input cables

The best would be both short but I have a few locations in my room to put things there.

Economic solution would be a), because I have a lot of phone cable which can be used for singnals.

Any suggs?

br
Old 12th May 2007, 03:52 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

What? You're going to MEASURE properties of cables? What is wrong with you? Don't you know you can't do that? By making measurements you will spoil the sound! Music (and especially cables) aren't about measurements, it is about FEELING. How can you measure THAT?

I_F
Old 12th May 2007, 04:12 PM   #6
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Music (and especially cables) aren't about measurements, it is about FEELING. How can you measure THAT?
Like this.
Old 12th May 2007, 04:14 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

No, no...im aksing where i will loose less of power, nothing about sound.
Old 12th May 2007, 04:20 PM   #8
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Least loss of power is for the speaker cables to be short as possible.
Old 12th May 2007, 04:50 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jacco vermeulen
Quote:
Originally posted by SY
Like this
Yeah, rub it in.
Next time i'll know better and refuse to take the lie detector test.
Old 12th May 2007, 11:20 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jacco vermeulen

Yeah, rub it in.
Next time i'll know better and refuse to take the lie detector test.

No! Don`t rub it. It may be hooked up to a plethysizemograph.
On April 01,2012, my radioastronomy Project TARGET SETI search succeeded. The signal came via extradimensional subspace, not radio waves. I now get a lot of 'visitors'. I took my avatar pic of one friend watching me in my work yard from just 20 ft. away.

Hide this!Advertise here!