Cable construction question for the ee knowledgeable.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
For years I've making my own signal cable out of 26 gauge CCC magnet wire, using either a four-wire or an eight-wire litz braid. It sounds great (better than anything I've heard other than Stereovox), but it is a PITA beyond a meter, especially the eight-wire weave.

Recently I've begun experimenting with a quicker and easier method: inserting either two or four 26 gauge enameled wires into two lengths of teflon tubing and then twisting the two lengths of tubing. Could someone provide me with the ee pros and cons of the two variations of the method I've tried.

Variation 1 - having all the wires in each tube connected to only positive or negative terminals.

Variation 2 - having half the wires in each tube connected to positive terminals and half connected to negative terminals, meaning that each tube is carrying both positive and negative voltage.

Thanks!

George

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Colescuttle said:
For years I've making my own signal cable out of 26 gauge CCC magnet wire, using either a four-wire or an eight-wire litz braid. It sounds great (better than anything I've heard other than Stereovox), but it is a PITA beyond a meter, especially the eight-wire weave.

Recently I've begun experimenting with a quicker and easier method: inserting either two or four 26 gauge enameled wires into two lengths of teflon tubing and then twisting the two lengths of tubing. Could someone provide me with the ee pros and cons of the two variations of the method I've tried.

Variation 1 - having all the wires in each tube connected to only positive or negative terminals.

Variation 2 - having half the wires in each tube connected to positive terminals and half connected to negative terminals, meaning that each tube is carrying both positive and negative voltage.

Thanks!

George

Quick answer is: variation one has more inductance but less capacitance per unit of lenght than variation two.

Now, what that does to the signal in your specific case is another story. Depends on length, in/out impedances, RF noise at your place, etc.

Personally I would prefer variation two. Less susceptible to pick up RF noise, and for short lengths the cap is not an issue.

Jan Didden

Thank you, Jan.

I really appreciate it. I'll use variation 2 for hook-ups and interconnects, and variation 1 for speaker cables longer than, say, two (?) meters. Actually, I think I'll get a capacitance/inductance meter, and bring a bit more objectivity to the experiment. Should've thought of that before posting.

George

Id like to know what is better(gainclone amp, PC signal, 2 sound boxes):
a)To have longer input cables and shorter output cables
b)To have longer output cables and shorter input cables

The best would be both short but I have a few locations in my room to put things there.

Economic solution would be a), because I have a lot of phone cable which can be used for singnals.

Any suggs?

br

What? You're going to MEASURE properties of cables? What is wrong with you? Don't you know you can't do that? By making measurements you will spoil the sound! Music (and especially cables) aren't about measurements, it is about FEELING. How can you measure THAT?

I_F

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.