Which Soundcard I should buy? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th January 2007, 11:08 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Question Which Soundcard I should buy?

Hi,

I'm planning to buy a new soundcard for my Pc, but I'm not sure which model I should buy.

I've been looking for m-audio and e-mu models. I want to do loudspeaker impedance/frequency response measurements in the future, so the soundcard needs to fit for this purpose perfectly. I also need 48V phantom XLR Mic inputs.

At the moment I use a desktop computer, but I am planning to buy a laptop. That is why I've been thinking if I should buy USB or Firewire card which I could also use in the laptop.

Is there any difference between PCI, USB or Firewire devices?

What things is important in the soundcard considering that I'm planning to make driver measurements?

Any advices are appreciated, Thanks.
Old 7th January 2007, 11:49 PM   #2
EdT is offline EdT  Canada
diyAudio Member

Check out some of the underated Yamaha cards, most can be had for quite cheap since everyone is going for M-Audio and Echo cards. I am still using an old Yamaha WaveForce 192XG, no XP driver was developed for it, but it still sounds more awesome then some the newer with XP drivers. Also look for cards with ASIO support.
Old 10th January 2007, 08:59 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks for your reply.

Most importantly I would like to know, is there any difference between internal (pci) and external (firewire/USB) soundcards?
Old 10th January 2007, 09:30 PM   #4
EdT is offline EdT  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Twisted85
Thanks for your reply.

Most importantly I would like to know, is there any difference between internal (pci) and external (firewire/USB) soundcards?
The external ones now all contain a DAC via USB. They claim the internal PC card might get noise from internal PC components such as the power supply and fans etc..., but I cannot hear any at this point, maybe with earphone it might be more noticable.
Old 10th January 2007, 10:13 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Ok,
Is there any disadvantages using external device? Does this have affect how much processor power it uses from PC?

I guess Firewire would be faster than USB2.0?

At the moment I've been looking for these models:

M-Audio FireWire 410

E-Mu 0404 USB

Both looks that they could be suitable for my usage. The E-mu is over 100euros cheaper than the M-Audio.
Old 13th January 2007, 02:34 AM   #6
Ang is offline Ang  United States
diyAudio Member

I've been delighted with my emu 0404 - I came from m-audio, which thought had slightly better separation, but in every other area the emu was substantially better.
Old 13th January 2007, 12:01 PM   #7
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Hi,
what characteristics are essential for a sound card that will be used for measuring?

Test signal out and measuring signal in, presumably? Does e-mu 0404 do this?

What other things are ESSENTIAL?
Old 13th January 2007, 08:02 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

0404 is nice. the response is very flat for measurement the only thing it does not have is a mic level input but its best to make a seperate preamp for measurement mic anyways.

it is very quiet for an onboard card. there are a few mods that can be done as well, such as changing or completely bypassing the output opamps, using both sides of the balanced DAC output instead of one etc. personally i did not do any of them.
Old 17th January 2007, 08:10 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Any M-Audio or E-mu is WAY better than the Hercules GT XP that I use at the moment so both are good enough for me. I just need a model that fits my needs the best.

I'm leaning towards the M-Audio 410, but I have one question.

At the moment I'm using Behringer mic preamp, and use single RCA cable to transfer the signal to the soundcard left input. As an addition, the right channel from amplifier is connected to the right input through two resistors.

What about if I use the mic input in the 410? How do I use the right channel for the signal from amplifier? Do I have to make a cable/connector which allows me to connect the other channel to the same XLR connector? Is the 48V phantom power a problem?

I though it would be easier to leave the Behringer preamp away but then I faced this problem.
Old 17th January 2007, 11:10 PM   #10
VvvvvV is offline VvvvvV  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

posted a similar question recently on KVR, it depends how many inputs and outputs you'll need in the future, people told me that the Maudio is the most stable card on the market and has fantastic sound quality that's what I have since three years,its no-frills but it's rocksolid and maximum fidelity.stability is allegedly the best on it.good for games and everything.

Hide this!Advertise here!