Which Soundcard I should buy?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Here's a screencap from JustMLS manual, the connection is similiar to the one in Arta manual. ATM I'm taking the signal for right channel from the right amplifier output, (and the speaker is powered from left output) but I don't know if it makes any difference (?)

Here's a picture of M-Audio 410 . The other input seems to be "one" and the other one "two". Are these separeta inputs, or is other one left and other one right?

I would get an M-Audio MobilePre.

My dad has one and it's wonderful, especially for the price. It should be more than enough for recording one stereo pair, and it sounds really good for playback too.

And the fact that it's USB won't affect anything since it's only two in, two out at 48/16.

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Hi,
what characteristics are essential for a sound card that will be used for measuring?

Test signal out and measuring signal in, presumably? Does e-mu 0404 do this?

What other things are ESSENTIAL?

Bit late replying Andrew, but since no one else answered your questions....

In my oppinion the following are the list of characteristics that are important. Having gone from an original soundlaster 16 to a turtle beach Montego II, and finally an Audigy II ZS I can say that the Audigy gives far superior results to the Turtle beach card, which gave far superior results to the Soundblaster 16 :)

The first thing that is essential is that the card allows full duplex operation (I assume pretty much all modern cards should be capable of this).

second it must be possible to disable the loop back function (ie not have the input from line in/mic be going back out the output.

From my experience, GOOD S/N ratio is essential, as is a good freq response (especially true for impedance and T/S measurements).

I'd also say 96Khz sampling for both playback and more important recording is a good idea.

One of the problems with USB (at least originally, not sure if recent cards have this problem) is latency. This can cause problems with impulse measurements.

Finally one thing that can be a problem is variability in measurements, I assume this is a driver issue. Occasionally the impulse can jump in time, ideally you don't want to have this happen very often, but if your card is suceptible to it, you need to be aware of it, and check the impulse every time to make sure you didn't get a bad measurement. Different SC drivers often fix this problem. If you do an impulse measurement 10 times in a row ideally it should give the same result ten times in a row (you can do it in loop back mode with out to in on the soundcard), I have had SC drivers where it will give 10 different results (you can see the impulse shift backwards and forwards by up to 2ms) Obviously if this is happening getting consistent measurements is a nightmare.

Tony.

Lynx 2B is what I use to transfer my lps_I swear by it.
Very pricey and hard to find second hand BUT a superb piece of engineering.

The Tascam DV-RA1000 _not a soundcard_is also quite a good device to transfer
lps_the newer model includes a hard drive in it but is very expensive.
On ebay the DV-RA1000 can be bought at reasonable prices.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.