Which Soundcard I should buy?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I'm planning to buy a new soundcard for my Pc, but I'm not sure which model I should buy.

I've been looking for m-audio and e-mu models. I want to do loudspeaker impedance/frequency response measurements in the future, so the soundcard needs to fit for this purpose perfectly. I also need 48V phantom XLR Mic inputs.

At the moment I use a desktop computer, but I am planning to buy a laptop. That is why I've been thinking if I should buy USB or Firewire card which I could also use in the laptop.

Is there any difference between PCI, USB or Firewire devices?

What things is important in the soundcard considering that I'm planning to make driver measurements?

Any advices are appreciated, Thanks.

Check out some of the underated Yamaha cards, most can be had for quite cheap since everyone is going for M-Audio and Echo cards. I am still using an old Yamaha WaveForce 192XG, no XP driver was developed for it, but it still sounds more awesome then some the newer with XP drivers. Also look for cards with ASIO support.

Twisted85 said:
Thanks for your reply.

Most importantly I would like to know, is there any difference between internal (pci) and external (firewire/USB) soundcards?

The external ones now all contain a DAC via USB. They claim the internal PC card might get noise from internal PC components such as the power supply and fans etc..., but I cannot hear any at this point, maybe with earphone it might be more noticable.

0404 is nice. the response is very flat for measurement the only thing it does not have is a mic level input but its best to make a seperate preamp for measurement mic anyways.

it is very quiet for an onboard card. there are a few mods that can be done as well, such as changing or completely bypassing the output opamps, using both sides of the balanced DAC output instead of one etc. personally i did not do any of them.

Any M-Audio or E-mu is WAY better than the Hercules GT XP that I use at the moment so both are good enough for me. I just need a model that fits my needs the best.

I'm leaning towards the M-Audio 410, but I have one question.

At the moment I'm using Behringer mic preamp, and use single RCA cable to transfer the signal to the soundcard left input. As an addition, the right channel from amplifier is connected to the right input through two resistors.

What about if I use the mic input in the 410? How do I use the right channel for the signal from amplifier? Do I have to make a cable/connector which allows me to connect the other channel to the same XLR connector? Is the 48V phantom power a problem?

I though it would be easier to leave the Behringer preamp away but then I faced this problem.

posted a similar question recently on KVR, it depends how many inputs and outputs you'll need in the future, people told me that the Maudio is the most stable card on the market and has fantastic sound quality that's what I have since three years,its no-frills but it's rocksolid and maximum fidelity.stability is allegedly the best on it.good for games and everything.

VvvvvV said:
people told me that the Maudio is the most stable card on the market and has fantastic sound quality that's what I have since three years,its no-frills but it's rocksolid and maximum fidelity.stability is allegedly the best on it.good for games and everything.

Great. That is just what I wanted to hear :)

You mention the quantity of inputs/outputs and that made me think, maybe I should save some money and settle for a cheaper model. Because I don't need multiple analog outputs.

The "MobilePre USB" seems to be have quite a lot lower stats than 410, so I would leave that out. That leaves me with "Firewire Solo" and "Fast Track Pro". I don't like the looks of "Fast track pro", and I prefer the Firewire (I guess it's faster than USB2?)

The Solo version has a lot less connectors, but most probably enough for me. I would save 110euros by choosing this model. The front input is labeled "Guitar", is this just normal input?
The outputs seems to be balanced in Solo version, can is still use normal TS connectors for output to my amplifier? (rca on the other end)

external, internal it doesnt matter. of course if you go internal on a pci card it will have more bandwidth but its only audio. usb can handle audio fine although i never trust it.
top of the line sound cards, RME. but you'll pay a fortune. I'd stay clear from m-audio. most of there products are cheap. Presonus, RME, and from what i hear yamaha are some good bets. Are you using it to record?
i've been using my presonus fire pod for a couple years now and i back the product 100%. 10 in 10 out, 96k 24bit, 8 trs/xlr inputs in the front 8 trs outputs on the back plus spdif and midi i/o. oh firewire too. check it out.

RME pricerange is way too high for me. Presonus seems to make nice products for similiar price range than m-audio and e-mu. From Presonus, Firebox seems to be closest to my needs.

Although I've been considering (again :D) the E-mu 0404 USB. Considering it's performance and connectors it's very cheap. Specifications

The price for 0404 is only 205euros +20euros for shipping from Germany.

If someone could tell me the answer for my earlier question about connecting the microphone I'd really appreciate it.

But what I'm wondering, that can I connect the right amplifier signal to the input with 48V phantom power like to a normal rca input?

The left input should be for my mic input signal (ECM8000) and then I should connect the right channel from amplifier through resistors to the right input.

i dont think im understanding you. if and when you gat a sound card it should have 2 mic/inst inputs. thats with those xlr plugs that have a whole in the middle to plug trs 1/4 inch. and depending on what u get you should have multiple outs. not just 2. if you look at the firebox it has multiple outs. 48v does not effect them.
oh fire wire solo is a cool piece, just beware the monitoring setup with headphones will drive you crazy. may as well pick up a headphone amp too

I need to connect both lines from amplifier output to the soundcard when I use ARTA. Left output goes to a loudspeaker, and then the signal goes to the microphone, and through XLR cable to the Behringer mixer with 48V Phantom power. From Behringer the signal goes from rca line output to my soundcard input, to the left channel.
The right channel from amplifier goes through two resistors and then to the same soundcard input, to the right channel. Arta needs both channels to be connected, the other one comes straight from amplifier, the other one from microphone.

But if don't use the Behringer mixer and I use for example FireWire 410 , I connect the microphone straigh to the front XLR input (which is mono??), where can I connect the right channel from amplifier ,as there is no left/righ input? :confused: (ofcourse there are line inputs in the back, but then I should connect both left and right there, and then I have to use the behringer for the Phantom power for the Mic) And I want to leave the behringer away if it's possible, and connect the mic straight to the soundcard.

Twisted85 said:

But if don't use the Behringer mixer and I use for example FireWire 410 , I connect the microphone straigh to the front XLR input (which is mono??), where can I connect the right channel from amplifier ,as there is no left/righ input? :confused: (ofcourse there are line inputs in the back, but then I should connect both left and right there, and then I have to use the behringer for the Phantom power for the Mic) And I want to leave the behringer away if it's possible, and connect the mic straight to the soundcard.

u can use phantom from the m-audio. i dont know why you would want your amp feeding into the m-audio??? do you have a true stereo mic? if you have two line ins then you designate in whatever program you are using which in is left and which in is right. and then hard pan left and right.

of course you can record on to a stereo track if u wanted (from just one mic input)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.