Bhc Aerovox - Any Good?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everyone, I have been given these caps by a friend who bought them off ebay for his amp, only they won't fit as they are LARGE.

I was wondering if anyone knows if they're any good.

They measure ~6.5 cm diameter x 10.5 cm high.

I can't figure out how to attach the image - help!!!! please!!!!

Attachments

• monster caps.jpg
    monster caps.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 1,392
Hi

I have used them in a number of pre and power amps for the last twenty years. I bought a large quantity some years ago but do not seem to find them available now and have recently been using Kendeil.

I am sure you will enjoy building something with them.

Don

just it can be my foundings on actual bhc aerovox caps but it sounds pretty slow and very silky and even dull. .If you like sofdome tweeters sound it can be to yours taste. as for the best cap I would no rate it this high. I am ataching picture of caps that I have tested

seems it is are the same.

anyone who says that aerovox bhc is best cap should try siemens/epcos sikorel 105 or 125.
theese caps are the most dynamic cap I have ever try in high current class a power amp. i would put against any cap in this configuration. even black gate. and they slightly worst than bg in terms on transparency. I have lot of BG and in near future I will have arround 25- 30kg of black gate caps :D so I can compare it in the same configuration BG vs sikorel in class a power amp. sadly theese prototypes will be dismountened because of cost(there is no logic or money to invest a 12 000eur in power suply capacitors)

I builded few amps with siemens epcos sikorel supply .it costed a lot of but it was worth.- frightening dynamic transients.

at the moment I am building new ultimate solid state class a amp with finest parts available . it will have 2x 28W/8ohm, there will be no parts paraleling and it will have external power suply box with 400x 1000uf 100V epcos sikorel . each 35x70mm the size of power suply is triple size the amp :bawling:

Attachments

• 000_0034.jpg
    000_0034.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 1,227
each 35x70mm the size of power suply is triple size the amp

Yeah, I know what you mean. I have a sh*tload of caps from BHC (330uF and 470uF @ 385V) and there huge!
Although mine are not circular but octagonal or decagonal (8 or 10 sides)

Edit: not 8-10sides but the same as your attached picture but without the screw at the bottom.

I've tried a few caps in my UCD amp

Evox Rifa 200
BHC ALP20
BHC ALS20A
Siemans Sikoral
Philips Q types

Out of those I liked the Siemans Sikoral best but lately I tried the BHC/DNM 4-pole T-network caps and these are by far the best I've used:)

I agree the ALP20 and ALS20A had a smooth signature, not bad caps though.
The 4-pole T-nets are very dynamic when used properly

I think this is the same caps that my friend buy from schuro.de

I even did not test them because it said they are almost the same dull as standart bhc.

It very depends on aplication where you use cap. I use them in class a power amplifiers where real currents are 10-12A. there is no at close any cap I have tried. of course I try not every cap, at the moment only 20-25diferent kinds, I am still in searchnig better cap that sikorel. I hope I can find one day.

Nordic said:
I'm trying to find some 10000uf sikorels, I believe these kill even the elna audio caps etc. where it comes to slew rate, which I think is the holy grail with caps.

they kill not only elna audio ;) I have some sikorels for sale trade see pic. :D if yoy will not find you can hope few from me.

in near time I will test some mundorf prototypes, we will se are theese good enought..

Thomo good luck in yours project.

Attachments

• s2.jpg
    s2.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 758
trying to find some 10000uf sikorels

RS Online in Germany has a few Sikorels, including 10mF/63 V: http://www.rsonline.de/cgi-bin/bv/r...jleleimecefeceeldgkidhgg.0&cacheID=denetscape

where it comes to slew rate, which I think is the holy grail with caps.

This may indeed be one main factor. Looking at impedance curves for different diameters of the same cap brand I notice that the version with the smallest diameter (35,7mm) has a higher resonant frequency than the bigger caps. One possible option would be to parallel a bigger cap, e.g. a standard Epcos variant, with a smaller Sikorel cap:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.