Torridal Transformer identification

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
I have a few Torridal transformers that maybe someone could help me identify input/outputs on. I tried the manufacturer but it has been 2 weeks and not a sound. I did get ahold of a sales rep and they decoded the numbers for me stated that this was a custom build and Talema (which has been sold) had the engineering folder on them and I would have to speak with them about.

Custom jobbies. 130va 120v input dual secondaries.

Talema part number 1306-IP1S2B-M

wire colors are 2 reds 1 yellow 2 whites and a back

looks like the whites are 0 ohms between so they must be both be connected inside the tape covering. 3.6 ohms or so between the whites and black wires. primary winding (120v input)

red and yellow wires = about 5.6 ohms between -secondaries?

am I right? I hate to just hook them up and see what happens.

Thanks,
Jeff

Hi,
use a mains light bulb in series with the live mains input lead.

If the bulb comes on you have wired it up wrongly.

If it flashes briefly and goes out, all is OK.

If it glows, you are consuming current and need to investigate, it might be normal or could be faulty, but at least it didn't blow up.

If the bulb does not flash at all, then investigate carefully, the circuit may be live but not consuming current.

Thanks for the help guys. I do not have a scope yet so I have to do it all with a meter. Andrew, the bulb idea sounds good, how will I know if I have the primary and secondary's mixed up.

If I wire 120v to the secondaries, should'nt I get something
like 1kv on the primary's? like a step up transformer

Hi,
with a step down transformer the secondaries are thicker than the primaries. Using a Multimeter one can measure the resistance of the individual windings and fins which windings are connected to each other.

A step down will have higher resistance on the primary windings.

The light bulb is written up regularly here.
build up a plug top, socket outlet and in between a light bulb holder. Remember the two light bulb holder connections BOTH go into the LIVE lead. The neutral and the earth go straight from plug top to socket outlet.

KEEP IT HANDY for all future maintenance and new build projects.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.