contact cleaner

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
deoxit

i've been using wd-40 for years, then began using remington oil with teflon, but recently discovered a product called De-Oxit which works extremely well.

wd-40 was good for flushing dirt out, but the lubricating film would evaporate within a week or so. the rem oil would lubricate better, but the teflon solids could eventually pile up on pot wipers causing them to get intermittant again, deoxit seems to work better, and is supposed to eliminate oxidation on contacts.

Another thing that is very important is never to use too much, access oil attracts more dust and will make the contacts dirty again quick...I know it's tempting to get rid of that tedious crackling by drowning the potmeter in oil....I would advise to (if the potmeter allows this) even wipe off all access oil....or start by adding only just enough....

I use CRC Contact Cleaner 2000 for cleaning, CRC 3-36 as a lubricant, and sometimes DeOxit R-5.

The 2000 doesn't mix well with certain plastics such as polycarbonate, if you spray a little on a modular plug it will almost instantly become extremely brittle and crumble apartin your hand, which is kind of cool the first time you see it.
The DeOxit is nice stuff.

I used to use some stuff called Blue Shower, whenever we hired a new tech I would show it to them and tell them it wasn't good for gold contacts, but there was a similar product for those...(think about it) ;)

lots of good products were banned...... freeze mist replacements and solvents are disproportionately expensive now.......

my question is... if aerosols are blamed for breaking down ozone (still not proven), then why do cities have high ozone levels (just think of the tons of aerosol products used in a city each day, in addition to refridgerant leakage in vehicles, air conditioners, etc...)??????

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.