Newbie crossover question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello diyAudio - so I'm about to jump in the deep end...

I've been thinking about crafting my own set of speakers. Two at first, but if they work well then another matching set for my home theater.

I just got a copy of Designing, Building, and Testing your own Speaker System and I'm itching to start.

But a few questions...

I'm thinking of making a 3 or 4 way speaker. I'd like to use a 12" or 15" woofer, one 5" mid, one 4" mid and a dome tweeter.

I'm REALLY confused about crossovers though. I know I'd like to create a series of second order butterworth crossovers, but looking at the drivers on parts express, I'm confused as to how I'd protect a 4" driver (when it says it can handle a max wattage of 50) when this speaker is connected to an amp that can do 200 watts a channel.

Additionally, I see schematics all over, but there really isn't a step by step how to assemble guide for crossovers (I'd like to go the whole 9 yards and do it on a etched PCB). I don't really need help with the pcb part, but some site that could help with designing this kind of crossover would REALLY be useful.

Or even another book recommendation would be great!

Thanks in advance!

Hi,
it's my view that PCB is a backwards step.

For quality, place your components on an insulated board. Hardboard/MDF/predrilled paxolin/GRP well almost anything.

Drill where you want the leads to pass through.
Hard wire on the opposite side from the components.
Glue and/or tywrap the components to the board before soldering up.

Keep the 3 or 4 sections separate and run 3/4 sets of terminals to 3/4 sets of input cables to 3/4 sets of output cables to the 3/4 drivers.
You can even keep all 3/4 support boards separate and keep them outside the speaker box.
Then locate the crossovers on the back of the amplfier terminals and run cable in through sealed holes direct to the drivers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.