LED VU meter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
LED VU meter for ZV9
I would like to build an LED VU meter to measure the DC offset for each channel.
I imagine there to be 5 or 6 LEDS where 1 would glow for lowest output whilst 5 would glow at max.
I just finsihed populating my ZV9 boards and thought this might be an interesting way to use the iconic Pass Blue LED.
Please help and newbie figure this out.
Thanks for your time
Neil

Hi,
a novel use for a bargraph.
Now which should you choose? lin, log or VU?

DC output offset monitoring with a couple of reds, a couple of orange and the other 5 for green to confirm that all is OK, probably best in dot mode.
The top limit could even overflow to turn off the output relay.

The basic LM391x has a range of 1.25V, you can extend that down a bit but for usual offset voltage magnitudes you'll need a voltage amplifier stage. Measuring both positive and negative offset levels also adds to the complexity, but an opamp amplifier with virtual earth set to mid-range on the bargraph may solve that.

However,
I would like to build an LED VU meter to measure the DC offset for each channel...I imagine there to be 5 or 6 LEDS where 1 would glow for lowest output whilst 5 would glow at max.

Do you mean "DC offset" in the conventional sense of setting up an amplifier, or do you want an indication of the magnitude of the speaker voltage when music's coming out? That's a different kettle of fish, much easier. See LM3915/LM3916 datasheets.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.