opened up an old amp with glass caps(?)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Might be Polystyrene. Clear plastic body with silver foil inside. Stable, decent tolerances, prone to short IIRC.

Bob G.

Attachments

• ps.jpg
    ps.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 329
Those caps are quite reliable, and very high performance. The reason you don't see more of them is that for a while no one was making them. I think there is at least one company that does now, but the others that stopped, stopped because there was no way to make them in chip form. The problem is that the dielectric melts at very low temperatures, so soldering them is tricky. With a leaded part you can clamp a heat sink on the lead being soldered to keep the heat from going up into the part and melting the dilectric. With chip caps there is no way to do it.

Keep those caps, and be careful with them when you solder them.

I_F

ok got some pics now...
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

these transistors are glass. whats the deal with these guys?
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

also inside was some other caps...

oh and check out these guys with the heat sinks on them. one has a diode on top of it

Those transistors aren't glass. It is just shiny black epoxy.

The heatsink and "diode" are a common arrangement. The diode is either a diode or more likely a thermistor used to provide thermal feedback to maintain bias at a more or less constant level even as the transistor heats up.

I_F

It's possible, but unlikely. Transistors are light sensitive so they are normally packaged with opaque materials to prevent light from striking the die. I think some very early transistors has transparent packaging until they realized the problems it was causing.

I_F

I_Forgot said:
It's possible, but unlikely. Transistors are light sensitive so they are normally packaged with opaque materials to prevent light from striking the die. I think some very early transistors has transparent packaging until they realized the problems it was causing.

I_F

Absolutely correct.

Early red-spot OC71 (Mullard) germaniums were actually in a clear epoxy potted case sprayed with black paint!

Scape off the paint and there was a very useful phototransistor (OP71?? - I can't remember)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.