Uk electrical probs, please help!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all, My kitchen light switch keeps blowing our Spots. I've installed a new switch, but it doesn't help. The Edison R50 40watt lamps aren't cheap.With 2 lots of 3 spots, on a pair of dual gang switches! Housing property for ya!. Would a set of 4 contact suppressors help on both switches.We have one switch by the door and another by the back door which we don't use.However the lamps only blow when switched on.Obviously The lamps aren't over rated, the max being 3 x 60watt per fitting.The fitting is less than a year old and the lamps blow one at a time, not in any order and last about 3 months so far.The lamps are from Phillips rather than a cheap alternative.If contact suppressors are to be fitted, how do I wire them, please?
Voltage measured just now, 247Volts. Not too high is it?

Cheers Mikee55:idea:

Oh!!!

Perhaps a pic...

Attachments

• dual gang light.jpg
    dual gang light.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 94
Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
R50s have very fragile filaments and don't last very long at all. I gave up using them on exhibition stands for that very reason. The only thing I can suggest is to fit a dimmer switch that will give them a bit more of a soft start, and stick a blanking panel on the socket by the door.

247v is at the top end and they are probably getting very hot and fragile.

These little spotlamps are money making machines for the suppliers.

Two options:

Replace lamps with low energy types; 8W==40W in old money. They last forever, (almost).

If you don't like the way they look, fit a dimmer (I have one hidden in a false ceiling) and set it to 225v. The lamps will only be a little bit dimmer and no-one will notice.

I have 8 x 50W G10s in my kitchen ceiling. That is 400W :bigeyes: if they were on full power.

I run them from a push-up push-down 1Kw dimmer (Vellerman kit) with a soft start. No lamp failures in 3 years.

pinkmouse said:

Not a good idea. When it fails, you have to rip down your ceiling to get to it. It's also against building regs. If someone bought your house, and wanted to install say, LV or flourescent tubes, then the dimmer would likely explode.

You don't know all of the details:

"Hidden" in the sense that your average Joe cannot adjust it.

"Hidden" in the sense that it is behind a blanking plate which has the following label stuck to it - "Ceiling tugsten lamps dimmer preset to 225V."

All lamps and all wiring (and all the ceiling panels!) can be taken down without "ripping" anything.

Thankyou

Pinkmouse, Any mods I do to the property will allways be reversible.You never know when her indoors decides she 's changed her mind.

Cliff,Your's is looking good to me, so I probably go for that.Except I don't have tiles, so a bit of thought needs to come into play!

Any thoughts, please?

Cheers Mikee55

Attachments

• lite.jpg
    lite.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 49
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.