how do YOU organize your parts? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th December 2006, 01:27 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default how do YOU organize your parts?

Or don't you?

I tend to be pretty a***-retentive when organizing my pieces/parts (or is it that i have OCD?)... the resistors/caps at least, because there are so many values.

Right now I have all my resistors/caps sorted by value in little plastic ziplock bags (3"x5" i believe), with the values written with a marker. The bags are only a few dollars at Staples/OfficeMax. Works pretty good, but I'd like to hear what everyone else does...
Old 15th December 2006, 01:57 AM   #2
anatech is offline anatech  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

Hi elementx,
Well, you had to ask. This is generally how I try to store parts. These are mostly resistors and small caps with some transistors and IC's thrown in for good measure.

-Chris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg storage.jpg (78.8 KB, 353 views)
Old 15th December 2006, 02:16 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Resistors which I have quite a few on tape which are odd values, i put them in order in a photo album, the type which the photos just slip in and theres a flap to hold them. everything else just gets to live in little plastic drawers just like most people.
Old 15th December 2006, 05:19 PM   #4
pjpoes is offline pjpoes  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to pjpoes
I have the same setup as Anatech, but far far less. I have one small 50 drawer organizer on my work space with all my parts. I don't have many but I'm slowly building my collection of parts, and felt it important to keep them in drawers. The drawers are labeled, though I'm quickly finding not enough drawers to have each part have its own. I keep them in the bags they come in normally, I figure it might help reduce any oxidation or weathering that might take place as they sit unused.
Old 15th December 2006, 05:42 PM   #5
pixpop is offline pixpop  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to pixpop
I keep all my resistors in a cardboard box with a big 'R' scrawled on the side. For capacitors, another box labelled 'C'. Inductors.. 'L'.

That way, if I want a resistor, I know exactly which box to look in.

I have approximately a zillion other boxes with other kinds of parts, none of them labelled, and all looking more or less the same. So if I want to find a mosfet, I look through these boxes at random until I find what I want. Sometimes I give up before finding it, and decide that I didn't need it anyway. Maybe I'll find a way to use a length of dial cord salvaged from an old tuner as a substitute for the mosfet. But probably not.

Having labored to bring this filing system to its pinnacle of perfection, I can safely announce to the world that it doesn't work. Save yourselves the touble, try something else. I know that for many it will be a tempting choice, but be wise and follow anatech's lead.
Old 16th December 2006, 12:52 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

For C's and R's, I use old pill bottles.
The DigiKey label is a perfect fit.
Old 16th December 2006, 01:15 AM   #7
diyAudio Moderator

Hi pixpop,
My way costs money unfortunately. I've just carried over the same way I used running a service shop. Frankly, I can't imagine doing anything else these days.

If you see drawer units on sale, buy a bunch so they will be the same. I didn't show you all the differnt boxes sitting around on the floor. All different.

-Chris
Old 16th December 2006, 02:16 AM   #8
Apex Jr is offline Apex Jr  United States
diyAudio Member

anatech...

I look at your picture and I'm thinking what a GREAT
movie prop set...

I expect a set dresser to come to my warehouse with a
picture like that and asking to duplicate it for a Set
Dressing

Looks Good

Steve @ Apex Jr.
Old 16th December 2006, 02:31 AM   #9
diyAudio Moderator

Hi Steve,
My wife is horrified. Actually, she has a problem with the entire basement. My world.

-Chris
Old 16th December 2006, 04:29 AM   #10
bzdang is offline bzdang  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Spread-sheet cell labels

I've labeled all of the little plastic drawers in my multi-drawer cabinets like cells in a spread-sheet. This makes it easier to remember where I've put items that don't have part numbers, and the drawers always get put back in the same place.

Hide this!Advertise here!