solder plating - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th December 2006, 07:53 PM   #1
Nixie is offline Nixie  Canada
Banned

Default solder plating

Since both tin and lead dissolve in aqua regia, shouldn't I be able to dissolve regular rosin-less solder in aqua regia and then use the solution to plate PCBs (with appropriate additives), having pieces of solder as electrodes?
Old 14th December 2006, 08:42 PM   #2
Nordic is offline Nordic  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Seems excesive, compare to how easy it is to smear flux and manualy tin a board or use liquid-tin
Old 14th December 2006, 08:48 PM   #3
Banned

I've tried the smearing, but can't get a smooth and even surface. I have no liquid tin, and tin without lead grows whiskers, making it a bad solution. Beyond the whiskers problem, tin makes the copper substrate more brittle.
Old 15th December 2006, 01:26 AM   #4
Minion is offline Minion  Canada
diyAudio Member

I"ve just tried Tining a board with Silver solder paste and it worked really well and a very small amount goes a long way as the silver seems to go on much thinner than the Solder does....

The problem with the Silver paste is that it is a Bit pricey at about $5 for 1/4 ounce but I tinned a 6in x 6in board with a drop the size of a pea.....

Old 15th December 2006, 01:30 AM   #5
Banned

What a ripoff. Silver is $14 per ounce, and I'm betting that only a fraction of that paste is silver. Silver plating is very easy -- just use some dip the stuff in silver nitrate solution and use a piece of silver wire as the electrode.
Old 16th December 2006, 05:33 AM   #6
EdT is offline EdT  Canada
diyAudio Member

You got the idea of tinning the pads, just wear safety glasses and use compress air to blow off the solder to make it flat. That is how tin plated pads are done in manufacturering PCBs except they use a more complex air knife.
Old 16th December 2006, 06:04 AM   #7
Banned

I don't understand. Compressed air will cool the solder into a solid before it can be blown off.
Old 16th December 2006, 06:07 AM   #8
EdT is offline EdT  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nixie
I don't understand. Compressed air will cool the solder into a solid before it can be blown off.

Place you iron there while you blow it off, the solder doesn't instantly soildify or you can use wicking braids to soak up the solder, they are sold in most electronics stores.
Old 16th December 2006, 12:09 PM   #9
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by EdT
You got the idea of tinning the pads, just wear safety glasses and use compress air to blow off the solder to make it flat. That is how tin plated pads are done in manufacturering PCBs except they use a more complex air knife.
there's that confusion between tin plated (Sn) and tinned (Pb/Sn).
Both solder easily.

Does an electroplated version of tin plated as against hot dip tin plated produce a clean electrically bonded surface that solders well?

Similarly does a chemical deposition layer solder well or is it full of pock marks?
Old 16th December 2006, 01:02 PM   #10
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member

I've used tin plating powder without problems. You just mix it with water at 40 degrees C, let it cool then use. Plates in about 20 minutes.

Shelf life of mixed solution is supposed to only be about 6 weeks, but I've reheated some old stuff and reused it again fine.

Hide this!Advertise here!