Mounting power supply caps-lead length

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a question. I have read some posts and heard from some people that having very long power supply leads is a really bad thing, it can cause inductance? I am currently upgrading my phonostage, and will be upgrading my dvd player next, and increasing capacitance tends to require longer leads. I was wondering what people thought about this issue? Does bypassing them with small value film caps negate the ill effect of the longer leads? What about wire guage for extending the leads?

For my phono preamp I actually was thinking of using a piece of strip board and making a new power supply capacitor bank that had considerably more capacitance, and then bypass each one with a small value mkp cap. Also I was thinking of putting something of lesser size, say like 100uf from black gate right on the board, and bypass those with mkp's as well. Will this work? Is it overkill? For the phonostage, it has two regulators, and on each side of the regulator was one 470uf cap. I replaced them with 1000uf rubycon caps, and to make them fit, I used 20 guage solid core wire, as its all that would fit through the board holes. Today I soldered some MKP caps, I think .047uf's under where the wire leads come through the board, figured it would work well as a bypass cap. So lets say I took the strip board, used 4-6 1000uf caps per side for a total of 4-6,000uf's per side, and attached it with 20 guage, or possibly 18 guage if I can make it fit, it was close, would that be an ok way to go without issues?

How about the lead length of other capacitors. For instance, most aftermarket mod companies that add things like auricaps have pretty long leads compared to the factory film caps that were installed. When I installed the relcap RTE's on my phonopreamp, it required much long leads to make them fit ok, does this have any ill effect?

Final question is a little unrelated. I know that the blackgates are considered by many to be the best of the best, though now much harder to get, and very expensive. In my phonopreamp, and in my cd player, there are values I can't get in the blackgates but I can get them in the Nichicon Muse ES series. I have seen those used in many highend gear, are they any good. I decided to try them in the phonopreamp, but without a good direct refrence, I really am not sure how they are. They are a non-polar cap, and I used them inplace of some polar caps, I figured it wouldn't make a big difference. Is that a bad assumption? I could be wrong, but I'm almost positive that all of the ones I used the ES caps in were signal path caps and not any sort of power supply decoupling or anything like that.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.