OCOS Cables - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th December 2006, 03:40 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Question OCOS Cables

I'm looking for information about OCOS cable http://www.ocos.de/
Has anybody already read something about those cables ?
Old 11th December 2006, 05:24 PM   #2
Netlist is offline Netlist  Belgium
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

The site itself should provide the best info but all I see is much marketing babble.
Ask a sample.

/Hugo
Old 12th December 2006, 12:44 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default OCOS sample

Indeed, the it would be interesting to hear from real users who may be more indicative (less / more ? objective) than the marketing babble... That is what I was hoping for... tks
Old 12th December 2006, 01:03 PM   #4
BHD is offline BHD  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to BHD
I used a pair of these speaker cables more than fifteen years ago. They were very good. I remember one audio reviewer making a joke about "Ocos-focus" because he said they "focused" the sound.

It was a long time ago, but I do remember that they were clearly superior to my solid core cheapie Audioquest speaker cables of the time. This was audible even on my inexpensive Paradigm 7se loudspeakers and NAD receiver. I was young and I really had to save to buy the demo pair that I ended up with. When I lost my job, I ended up selling them to a friend that had the same setup that I did. He was NOT a tweak guy and was really skeptical.

Ten seconds after hearing them, he bought them.

Old 15th December 2006, 02:15 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Question OCOS - simple question

Quote:
Originally posted by BHD
It was a long time ago, but I do remember that they were clearly superior to my solid core cheapie Audioquest speaker cables of the time. T
Would it be possible for you to let me know what was superior in those cables compared with those you're using now ?

Would you buy them again today ?

Regards
Old 20th December 2006, 02:56 AM   #6
BHD is offline BHD  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to BHD
Sorry for the delay in my reply.

Well, it was a long time ago, so it would be difficult to explain what it was that I heard, but I remember hearing more detail and a more relaxed presentation.

And focus, of course...

Would I buy them again? Maybe, if they were used and at a good price. I'd have to hear them again to be sure. I use lower-end Nordost cables now and like them a lot. The stuff I had pre-ocos was simple four conductor solid core audioquest cable. It was good and dirt cheap. The OCOS blew it out of the water - I had to eat a lot of ramen to get them (even the demo pair), but I did.

The buddy of mine that bought the cable from me was a real penny pincher, so tight he squeaked. He didn't believe that cables made any difference. Like I said, he bought them after hearing them for ten seconds. I know that the cables new would have retailed for more than his Paradigm loudspeakers.

You'll only know for sure if they're for you if you hear them in your system. Otherwise it's just blah blah blah...
Old 22nd December 2006, 11:48 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Dynaudio used to supply or promote the OCOS cables, and speakers like the Crafft had a strange coaxial terminal in parallel with the 4mm's for OCOS use.

They were really good from what I remember - warm but not lacking detail or definition. I'm sure they were 8ohm impedance to match speakers (except of course that Dynaudios are 4ohms normally).

Dynaudio Crafft were brilliant speakers - relatively cheap pro-grade bass driver with Dynaudios top spec tweeter (at that time). They cost about 3000, and were originally a passive pro monitor (that came in nextel grey) that developed a cult audiophile following. Dyn then responded by bringing them out in real wood finishes.

Hide this!Advertise here!