Capacitor lifespan and audio quality - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th September 2012, 11:13 AM   #21
diyAudio Member

Frank, I wouldnt touch them with a bargepole. I just trawled through their website, and the amount of data they provide is negligible. OTTOMH their lifetime figures didnt look crash hot, and the lack of datasheets scares me.

I've only ever designed SMPS for >= 10 year operating life. which is why I only use the leading brands. every experience I've ever had (and there have been many) with other brands has been poor. Usually its like this:
Client - "we've been using these XXX caps, and are having field failures"
me - detailed analysis, "they are crap. dont use them"

the cheaper caps arent that much cheaper than the good ones, and they are never as good. just dont.

Johno, try reading your own first sentence. "manufacturing to a price point" = downgrade quality until price point hit. this is a problem, as lots of customers are interested in price alone, not quality & reliability (total cost of ownership). its not the fault of the factory, they are being asked to make lousy parts.

A while back I did a forensic review of a SMPS (used in mass-manufactured audio gear as it happens) & I got a bunch of Samxon GK caps sent directly to me from Samxon. and these were the ones I mentioned re. internal elements - some were much smaller than their cans, others were not. and they were the same parts. whats that if not rubbish QC?

you can buy whatever xxx brand caps you want. but if you want your equipment to run for decades, only buy the best brands.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Samxon 12.5mm & 10mm caps no lid.jpg (206.0 KB, 268 views)
Old 19th September 2012, 11:31 AM   #22
fas42 is offline fas42  Australia
diyAudio Member

Thanks, Terry. WES Components in Oz have been selling them for years, and the Philips HT system I fiddle with, 10 years old, is full of them. So they're not a total disaster if not too heavily stressed, perhaps ...

BTW, sorry to hear that your wife is not the best, hope things get better soon ...

Regards,
Frank
Old 19th September 2012, 11:46 AM   #23
just another
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MykhailoM View Post
Terry, I had been recommended this Elna Caps for my project (described above)
2 PCS ELNA Rfs silmic II FOR AUDIO CAPACITOR 470Uf/50V
eBay link: 2 PCS ELNA Rfs silmic II FOR AUDIO CAPACITOR 470Uf/50V | eBayWould you think these are GOOD quality?
I wouln't get those ones from ebay, They are either fakes, or old stock. Current Elna Silmic II's don't have gold on them (not sure if they did before or not).

Try parts connexion Elna Electrolytic Capacitors RFS Series , if you're order is less than 250g (including the packaging) the shipping cost should only be around $10 US.
Old 19th September 2012, 12:32 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

I have found these two places:

Made in USA. (Manufacturer Elna America)
1). http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/RFS-50V471MJ8%235/604-1128-ND/2171179

Japan
Made In Thailand (Thailand Factory Of Elna)
2). JAPAN 2PCS Elna Rfs silmic II 470uf 50V Silk audio Capacitor New diy HiFi | eBay

Sold in UK.
3) (ELNAS-159) - 470uF 50V Elna Silmic II Electrolytic Capacitor Hifi Collective

What would you think is the best choice here to make? to me the No2 "Japan" strangely made in Thailand. The other one No1. Made in USA, which is feels, a bit better what would you think guys?

Old 19th September 2012, 12:42 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Thanks for helping Terry, while I'm in a process of complete upgrade to the CD player, apart of capacitor upgrade, should I also look into:

1). Resistors

and

2). DIN's ?

If there is a sence in doing it could you please pin point from my CD board pictures which one to change.

Thanks
Old 19th September 2012, 01:20 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

One note which appears on the Tektronix newsgroup over and over is the high failure rate of tantalum electrolytics after many years of service. This being said, you can't just replace them with aluminum electrolytics. I've seen tantalums on a few of the Japanese receivers I've owned through the years.
Old 19th September 2012, 01:36 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MykhailoM View Post
Thanks for helping Terry, while I'm in a process of complete upgrade to the CD player, apart of capacitor upgrade, should I also look into:

1). Resistors

and

2). DIN's ?

If there is a sence in doing it could you please pin point from my CD board pictures which one to change.

Thanks
Here's a suggestion: Start your own thread with this question, because your question is only tangentially related to the OP.

That is you are bringing this thread off-topic. The thread is about the lifetime of capacitors.

Your question is about a CD player upgrade.
Old 19th September 2012, 01:37 PM   #28
just another
diyAudio Moderator

I wouldn't trust anything from ebay!! digikey is reputable, though shipping will likely be a killer for anywhere outside the US for small value orders. I've had no problems with the stuff I have bought from partsconnexion either. I don't know of the hifi collective.

Tony.

Last edited by wintermute; 19th September 2012 at 01:39 PM. Reason: add comment about shipping.
Old 19th September 2012, 01:41 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Oh by the by, this discussion is very interesting but the OP was from 6 years ago!
Old 19th September 2012, 03:52 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

I agree with Jackinnj about the tantalum problem. I had a Cambridge preamp that regularly failed with a tant bead gone short. These were NOT near rated voltage, exposed to surges or run hot.

Hide this!Advertise here!