Stillpoint ERS EMI/RFI Suppression Cloth - snake oil or valid upgrade?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Adhoc,

It's clear to me that this material can only be of use for shielding susceptible devices from electromagnetic emitters in close proximity (ie in the near-field). For emitters in the far-field it will have virtually no effect. So you could use it to shield a DAC from a switchmode PSU sitting next to it, but not for shielding against mobile phones for example.

Near-field (or far-field) shielding is greatly improved by tying the shield to a reference (for example Earth) but there can be some shielding effect without it. Some energy can be dissipated within the material itself when unreferenced but the rest will be re-radiated depending on the material characteristics and its dimensions as well as the frequency of the impinging radiation.

Cheers, Ralph

RAM...

The stuff is some RAM...Radar Absorption Materials, materials used for stealth stuff (Aircraft,ships,etc.) to absorb radar signatures , rarely seen stuff as it IS subject to DOD restrictions, hard to say how well it will work at lower frequencies however.
Iv'e heard about the stuff but haven't seen it for sale..perhaps this is one of the few markets where it is 'useable'.
____________________________________Rick............

A bad copy?

So this is NOT a RAM material?...or is it a bad copy, as if to latch onto the seeming mystery of the material?
I would think that the real stuff would be impossible to obtain & the true coatings used would be a state secret.
That brings up the point that everyone trying to make a buck would cook up some lame material and asserting its' magical properties.
So who is this Ben Rich that you speak of?
________________________________________Rick..........

As a potential RF absorbing material (more or less so at whatever frequency), this Stillpoints paper seems slightly plausible. At the price being asked for it, I haven't been persuaded to try it. RFI and EMI suppression tends to be a blackish art anyway.

I definitely draw a line well before Bybee Quantum Purifiers.

Either can be had (at a price) from Percy Audio, who also stocks perfectly legitimate components.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.