PCB layout software - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th December 2006, 09:59 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default PCB layout software

I'm looking for software to input a schematic, and perform a board layout/auto trace route... but i want something that's quick and easy!

Why? Because I etch my own boards, i will never source them out, and I just use whatever parts I have laying around.

I tried a few others, and they work, but I'm sick of spending an hour to layout a dozen parts. I don't want to draw it by hand either, i like arranging the parts via computer.

I want to click on capacitor and just have two holes on the board... i don't want to sort through a thousand different libraries of suppliers.

anyone got a suggestion?
Old 6th December 2006, 10:18 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default Re: PCB layout software

Quote:
Originally posted by elementx

I want to click on capacitor and just have two holes on the board... i don't want to sort through a thousand different libraries of suppliers.

anyone got a suggestion?
This is the way I use ExpressPCB http://www.expresspcb.com/

regards
Old 7th December 2006, 02:30 AM   #3
traw is offline traw  United States
diyAudio Member

yep, express pcb works well. only bummer is if for some reason you need to put copper on top in which case need to mirror print, recall express pcb would not give you that.

i use sprint layout, but not free, 39 bucks.... has nice tiling feature for printing out multiples of your home ethes. even funnier, my black toner was running low and i could select copper color to print in some funky cyan to hit that toner cartridge (color laser). also hated made a layout, but couldn't get fabbed since no gerber export - although you say doesn't matter for yourself since home etch only.
Old 8th December 2006, 03:40 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

I get great results with Sprint Layout from Abacom in Germany.

It's very easy to use, supports copper and silkscreen layers on both sides and it's real easy to whip up new parts that are not already in the libraries.

http://www.abacom-online.de/uk/html/sprint-layout.html

It's cheaper than Eagle if you want to make boards larger than the limitaions of Eagle allow. Did I mention it's easier to use?
Old 8th December 2006, 04:01 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

A powerful "free"/ open source program:

http://kicad.sourceforge.net/en/index.shtml

KiCad consists from project manager and four main programs:

* kicad - project manager.
* eeschema - schematic editor.
* pcbnew - pcb editor.
* gerbview - Gerber (photoplotter documents) viewer.
* cvpcb - footprint selector for components used in the circuit design.

Almost no limitations for size and layers. A bit of learning curve. Libraries are OK, and can be custom made for your own parts.

HTH
Old 11th December 2006, 03:45 AM   #6
traw is offline traw  United States
diyAudio Member

elementx, did you buy out mayfield radio shack's etchant?! know you work near where i work, went there to pick up a bottle for the weekend project and they said someone came and bought it all!
Old 11th December 2006, 12:00 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

You know, it really is cheaper to make your own etchant using Muriatic Acid from the home DIY stores and Hydrogen Peroxide from the Drug Store.

It might cost $5 per gallon, versus the $5 for 16 oz you pay at radio shack.
Old 11th December 2006, 12:06 PM   #8
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by pwillard

It's very easy to use, supports copper and silkscreen layers on both sides and it's real easy to whip up new parts that are not already in the libraries.

It's cheaper than Eagle if you want to make boards larger than the limitaions of Eagle allow. Did I mention it's easier to use?
I've been looking for a nice easy CAD program for a long time now. This looks like worth trying.
Old 11th December 2006, 02:41 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by pwillard

I've just looked at that. There doesn't seem to be any link between the schematic program and the pcb layout. At least it is not mentioned

If true, that is a BIG weakness and source of errors creeping in, as well as a duplication of data entry.
Old 12th December 2006, 01:23 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

I never said it was an EDA suite... if you want that, go with the limitations of Eagle or buy something like AUTOTRAX EDA from KOV

The original poster was just making ONCE-OFF layouts, as I am myself. I personally can design a PCB with Sprint Layout from an existing Schematic I snag from from the WEB (or hand draw) with little effort or mistakes. I don't need to spend time drawing the schematic unless I want to. Then I just use SPLAN from the same folks.

The SPRINT LAYOUT tool does what the original poster wanted...

Sprint is designed to be easy and is more geared to the hobbyist, which most of us seem to be. The issue with the error "Board and Schematic are not consistent!" in EAGLE is not something a DIY'r like me is always wanting to spend time on.

To each his own... I like the simple solution sometimes. The DEMO versions from ABACOM.DE should show you how easy they are. If that's what you like... great.

Hide this!Advertise here!