Can IC's have intermittent faults? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Closed Thread

Old 6th December 2006, 07:32 PM   #1
RIP

Default Can IC's have intermittent faults?

...my chip amp is fine, but my beloved 21" trinitron monitor has an intermittent wig out with the vertical deflection control. Searches show that the obvious culprit would be the "IC007 chip on the "D board". It appears that this may be heat-related, since it doesn't start until 15-30 minutes after the monitor is turned on. If it were a purely analog circuit, I would suspect a bad electrolytic(and there are some feeding the chip), but alas, it isn't.

Sorry...have to go...it's about to start wiggin' out.

any ideas appreciated.

Old 6th December 2006, 08:47 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Fortunately it is rare but can happen. The most vulnerable area is the wire-bond.

Years ago I had a similar thing with the C-B junction of a BJT in an audio amplifier which would open a close with almost electronic-timer repeatability as the junction heated and cooled.

Freezer spray helps diagnosis.

Old 6th December 2006, 09:03 PM   #3
Nordic is offline Nordic  South Africa
diyAudio Member

I was reading som application notes regarding opamps last night, and I believe its even possible to partialy damage the input stage to some... causeing things like, blue smoke of death, DC offset errors, thermal errors etc...

Old 6th December 2006, 09:58 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Can IC's have intermittent faults?

Quote:
Originally posted by pedroskova
...my chip amp is fine, but my beloved 21" trinitron monitor has an intermittent wig out with the vertical deflection control. Searches show that the obvious culprit would be the "IC007 chip on the "D board". It appears that this may be heat-related, since it doesn't start until 15-30 minutes after the monitor is turned on. If it were a purely analog circuit, I would suspect a bad electrolytic(and there are some feeding the chip), but alas, it isn't.

Sorry...have to go...it's about to start wiggin' out.

any ideas appreciated.
This sort of problem is often evidence of a bad solder joint, something far more common than an intermittent failure in an IC. Take a soldering iron to the IC pins and see if the problem goes away.

I_F

Old 6th December 2006, 11:17 PM   #5
drj759 is offline drj759  United States
diyAudio Member

I agree with "I_Forgot". The symptoms are typical of a bad solder joint. Furthermore, Sony TV's have a reputation for bad solder joints (search the web and see the Repair FAQ at www.repairfaq.org).

Quite a few years ago, our 15 yr old 19 inch Sony developed tuner troubles due to a know problem of bad solder joints. I had to install a rebuilt tuner module. Our 7 yr old 32 inch Sony lost half of it's picture a few months ago. A search of the web of the symptoms indicated a known problem with bad solder joints near the vertical deflection IC. I re-heated the joints near the IC and that brought the TV back to working order.

Old 6th December 2006, 11:19 PM   #6
diyAudio Moderator

Due to the risks of working on CRTs by the inexperienced, we do not allow such discussions on diyAudio, so I have closed this thread.
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?

Closed Thread

Hide this!Advertise here!