Measuring Speaker Parameters, How to? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th December 2006, 12:59 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Measuring Speaker Parameters, How to?

I'm a newbie in the DIY speaker hobby. I've been working with audio stuff, in a hobby sense, for years...and I've come to a point where I'd like to learn more about Our hobby.

I'm looking for the step by step procedures for testing speaker parameters. What equipment do I need, how to test each parameter, Etc.

I have frequency generators, O-scopes, Volt/Ohm meters, and many other types of test equipment, but absolutely no one to ask about the "How To"/ "Hands On" aspect of actually >Doing< it.

Does anyone have a site, or a .pdf, for the newbie, on the "How To", and a "Walk through" on actually doing it?

Thanks!
Tall Shadow
Old 7th December 2006, 11:38 AM   #2
Pulse-R is offline Pulse-R  Australia
diyAudio Member

http://sound.westhost.com/tsp.htm
Old 8th December 2006, 12:17 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

PartsExpress.com used to have this woofer tester that (I believe) would give you the T/S parameters, but I can't seem to find it on their site now.
Old 8th December 2006, 03:21 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by solacedagony
PartsExpress.com used to have this woofer tester that (I believe) would give you the T/S parameters, but I can't seem to find it on their site now.
I looked at it a while back, but... I figured that I already have (1.) An audio generator, (2.) Several O-Scopes, (3.) Bench/hand DMMs, (4.) Frequency Counters (5.) Computers & access to just about anything else I might need.....That I didn't need another piece of equipment....I needed someone to show me the "How" & the "What" of actually doing the measurement(s).

Rod Elliott's site is a good start, but I was hoping for a "Step by step" type of guide.....Maybe I'm running a little "Slow" or something? but I would "Get it" allot faster with seeing it done that way....

Thanks!

Tall Shadow
Old 10th December 2006, 05:57 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to youyoung21147
Speaker workshop, a freeware, makes TS parameters measurements if I remember well.

You just need your soundcard and one or two simple circuits.
Old 10th December 2006, 09:20 PM   #6
wtpro is offline wtpro  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi

FYI, We are selling our Woofer Tester 2 direct and will be adding additional products for in air microphone testing and high power Xmax level testing shortly (that is, these are not replacments of the WT2). And, if you are interested we are also bundling the WT2 with Harris Tech products (Bass Box, X-over pro).

If you look into our FAQ we have a number of examples showing what the WT2 can do. Examples include

- Low power TS testing
- Box alignment tests (is your box built right)
- Box response simulation
- Non linear inductance testing and modeling
- Suspension linearity testing (Cms vs Idrive)
- RLC measurement

This link shows the step by step process you would take for measuring a driver and designing an enclosure. It is important to note here that it equally as important to test the driver *after* it is put in the enclosure as it is for getting acurate TS parameters.

http://www.woofertester.com/wt2boxbuild.htm

And here is a link showing the woofer testers ability to measure speaker cable

http://www.woofertester.com/measurecable.htm

Best regards,
Keith Larson (WT-Pro)
Smith & Larson Audio

Hide this!Advertise here!