Which is the best sounding to your ears? CS3310,PGA2310 or PGA2311 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th December 2006, 04:24 AM   #1
henkel is offline henkel  Malaysia
diyAudio Member

Default Which is the best sounding to your ears? CS3310,PGA2310 or PGA2311

Hi! I know many members here have played around with the chips mentioned on tittle. I've search the threads as well and are mostly about the technical issues implementing the chips in a pre-amp.

I would like to know how would you rate the sound of the PGA2310 & PGA2311 subjectively against the CS3310, which is currently in my pre amp?

I've seen the pdf files of all three chips and the PGA chips seems to have marginally supperior specifications. Does that translate in to better sound quality?

Thanks for looking and opinions are appreciated.
Old 7th December 2006, 02:31 AM   #2
henkel is offline henkel  Malaysia
diyAudio Member

NO help? Please?
Old 25th April 2013, 10:55 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

I ask the same question.
Unfortunately this topic is filed wrong.
Old 25th April 2013, 11:58 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Implementation, especially avoiding the digital interface polluting the audio, is more important than which chip
Old 25th April 2013, 12:36 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsrsb View Post
Implementation, especially avoiding the digital interface polluting the audio, is more important than which chip
As far as I understand it nothing digital happens with these chips unless one is communicating to it via the micro controller and this is only really going to happen when you're changing the volume.

I cannot really answer your question, but I have used the CS3318 and think it sounds fantastic and I certainly didn't notice any issues when swapping it in place of the DACT stepped attenuator that I was using before.
Old 25th April 2013, 01:37 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Making sure that the cpu chip is not polling switches etc and disturbing the pga is non-trivial
Old 27th April 2013, 12:49 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I see that these devices operate with varying opamp gain using digitally controlled switching resistors. If you feel uncomfortable about using -at least one additional- opamp in signal path, this type of implementation seems a bit problematic for you. Biasing the opamp in chip into Class-A probably worth to try.

Hide this!Advertise here!