Frequency generator software - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th December 2006, 12:57 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Frequency generator software

Hi all,

I would like to mesure T/S params for my drivers and use a frequency generator software(ex: WinISD) and an amp as this site suggest:

http://sound.westhost.com/tsp-f2.gif

What do you think of the accuracy of a frequency generated by a software ?

I know I can verify the freq. but I don't have this material at home.

Thanks,

REALFLEO
Old 5th December 2006, 03:38 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

A PC can generate sine waves with a much greater accuracy than almost anywhere else!

In any case, to investigate LS parameters, 1% to 2% accuracy is much more than enough.

So you don't have a problem.
Old 5th December 2006, 03:42 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

ok perfect I will test it with my PC.

Thanks for the reply

REALFLEO
Old 6th December 2006, 12:30 PM   #4
Schaef is offline Schaef  United States
diyAudio Member

When doing testing like that, typically, the software is not the issue, its the hardware. In software I can generate a sine wave with a resolution way beyond what any hardware could even dream of reproducing. For example, if I really wanted to, I could generate a 64 bit, 1 million samples per second sine wave in software, now, there's no hardware that can even dream of using this data, but I could generate it.

So, what you should be looking at more, is what hardware you're using to play back and sample the results with. That's your limitation. As to what's good or good enough, depends on what you want for results. If you're just starting out, then a built-in sound card may be good enough for now, and later when you start hitting problems because its not good enough, upgrade the sound card.
Old 7th December 2006, 11:41 AM   #5
Pulse-R is offline Pulse-R  Australia
diyAudio Member

one problem I have encountered with using a sound card, is the over/undershoot of the card as it 'revs up' for a pulse/transient - something you just don't get with a proper function generator.

how would this affect measurements?
Old 7th December 2006, 12:39 PM   #6
Hayden is offline Hayden  Australia
diyAudio Member

Iím an audio programmer so I would highly recommend flexi music generator I use it to make my bass sounds like bass drops for techno tracks its good I have tested frequencies from 30,000 to 1hz and it works fine you can just do sine wave or square or what ever you design even do a multiple of different frequencies or types it is totally flexible hence the name lol I also use a audigy 2 zs sound card and run an amp from the output sockets and has had no problems yet you can adjust the duration of the signal from .05seconds to around 27hours it works great for test and tune a sub you have just made
One thing I donít know how accurate it is buts its bloody good
and its so simple to use
Please let me know if it works for you.

Here is the Download link

http://www.hitsquad.com/smm/programs...erator.zip</a>

Click the image to open in full size.

Hide this!Advertise here!