PCB Hole Size

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
millimeters? All the PCBs I've ever done have hole sizes in fractions of inches! ;-)

Hole sizes are a combination of size needed to fit component leads and drill bits offered by the fabricator. For example, a number of the "prototype" PCB vendors (the kind you email your Gerbers to along with credit card number) have a limited selection of drill sizes in order to keep things standardized and keep their costs down (and hence keep down the cost to you). Thus, you may need to adjust the hole sizes on your PCB to fit their available sizes.

Other places, such as my current employer, seem happy to let you use any and every conceivable drill bit (in increments of 0.0005") all on the same PCB.

If you're doing your own PCB, make a set of reasonable choices. Avoid using a hole that is "just big enough" as it makes it hard to remove a component. You'll find that you need only a few sizes for the normal range of components.

BrianL said:
millimeters? All the PCBs I've ever done have hole sizes in fractions of inches! ;-)

Hole sizes are a combination of size needed to fit component leads and drill bits offered by the fabricator.
Never heard of millimeters? :scratch: 1 inch = 25.4 mm. My pcb fabricator can offer just about any hole size so I just have to pick the size I want. More than 10 different sizes is not a problem. If you make a doublesided board 0.9 mm is very suitable for 0.6-0.8 mm leads.

Milimeter

http://www.crownhill.co.uk/level3.php?cat=17&sec=8&PHPSESSID=e1ee8daed751ac49adaca0f3230738fc

In the past, yes in US, they use measuring in Inch unit but in Europe use in metric.
In Asia some mixed up from difference source, but now most of electronics semiconductor become small and smaller, measuring unit changing to Metric

I do not know exactly in US.

U.S. UNION TOOL, INC.
You can find out

In Germany, Kammer news reports that they finish to develop
0.03mm drill bit, you can see how small.

http://www.mpk-kemmer.de/KemmerTechnologyAG/KemmerNews/Kemmer_news_02-05_engl.pdf

In Japan and Chaina, seem all of them supply drill bit in Metric unit.

Yo, dudes,

1. you obviously didn't see the "smiley" on my comment. I speak fluent metric, but that's not how they do PCBs in the USA.

2. you didn't notice the fact that the the person who posed the original question lives in the USA and thus has little need for suggestions in metric units.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.