AD8066 vs. LM4562

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
douglesc said:
There might be very few that have any expierence with these chips, but if you do, I would love to hear what you think, and of course any other chip you might want to throw in as well.:smash:

Both are quite good (and LM4562 is developing a cult) but having tried both I find LM6172, AD826, AD8620 better for duals... in that order.

AD8066 experience based on 2xAD8065 on brown dog adaptors and AD8620 based on 2xAD8610.

AD8065x2 was smooth but a bit boring, lacking bass dynamics.
LM4562 was very clean but rather dry and uninvolving.

All of this was in the LPF of a CD player.

Hope this helps.

Re: Re: AD8066 vs. LM4562

Glenn2 said:

Both are quite good (and LM4562 is developing a cult) but having tried both I find LM6172, AD826, AD8620 better for duals... in that order.

AD8066 experience based on 2xAD8065 on brown dog adaptors and AD8620 based on 2xAD8610.

AD8065x2 was smooth but a bit boring, lacking bass dynamics.
LM4562 was very clean but rather dry and uninvolving.

All of this was in the LPF of a CD player.

Hope this helps.

Can you elaborate more on the comparisons? What setup do you use?

My 8066's haven't burnt in yet, but I'm loving them.

My impressions:

4562 - very nice sounding and adequate detail, but not outstanding. There's nothing wrong with them, however they don't stand out as exceptional either.

8620 - nice forward sound, all tonal frequencies are represented with lushness and aggresion, but many details are lacking - I know this b/c many reference tracks I use have entire sections deleted from representation. Not for audiophile use IMO.

8066 - prior to adequate settling time (1 hour's impression): superb accuracy and dynamics, tonally accurate (however a bit bassy - that's likely to settle down with 'age' IME), very high resolution, decent spaciousness to sound, excellent imaging for an op-amp. Impressive level of detail so far. I can see how some would see this as boring - the sound can be dry if the source material and delivery machine is less than stellar (e.g. standard ipod headphone out, mp3 files, most sound cards).

My suggestion: try these in an amplification section of an amplifier after a good quality DAC; mix them with some nice quailty caps and resistors, you'll never turn back!

omendelovitz said:
My 8066's haven't burnt in yet, but I'm loving them.

My impressions:

8066 - prior to adequate settling time (1 hour's impression): superb accuracy and dynamics, tonally accurate (however a bit bassy - that's likely to settle down with 'age' IME), very high resolution, decent spaciousness to sound, excellent imaging for an op-amp. Impressive level of detail so far. I can see how some would see this as boring - the sound can be dry if the source material and delivery machine is less than stellar (e.g. standard ipod headphone out, mp3 files, most sound cards).

My suggestion: try these in an amplification section of an amplifier after a good quality DAC; mix them with some nice quailty caps and resistors, you'll never turn back!

I fully agree - used an 8066 in my dynaco cdv-pro and won't go back to anything else. Very detailed, excellent low end articulation and no ringing on the top whatsoever. Only disadvantage is the +/-12v supply limitation.

AD8066 vs LM4562

I am using an AD8066 in the O/P stage of a Musical Fidelity
X-DAC V3, preceded by OPA2134s, instead of the original
all NE5532s.I have fitted 78L12/79L12 regulators close to the AD8066, and replaced the manufacturer recommended 100nF ceramic bypass capacitors with normal 100nF 63V types. This takes a slight hardness off high treble. I am also using an AD8066 in a headphone amplifier with a discrete buffer stage.
I tried the LM4562 in a preamplifier instead of the original design's OPA2134. Ultimately, I found the huge amount of detail
a little fatigueing, and reverted to the OPA2134. As a result of this, I replaced the generic 45xx device in my PCs Soundblaster
X-FI Extreme Music with an OPA2134. This combinatio of OPA2134 , with AD8066 in the headphone amplifier is very good indeed . In both the X-DAC V3 and the Headphone amplifier, I get a fabulous 3D soundstage using the AD8066.

SandyK

Hi,

I have a Musical fidelity B1 Mk2 (very close to the tempest model)

Just replaced my TL072CP with a 4562 and I noticed a great improvement in detail and space. There is an increase in very high frequencies which affect hihats... I would say 12khz and above creating a more delicate sound. I also have improved bass. Sounds Great and not fatiguing to listen to and moderate volumes. Midrange is a touch clearer and "aligned"

I also just bought an AD8066 and fitted this in the socket....
I am disappointed to be honest. The bass is increased a touch around 80hz but the bass "which gives the punch" is missing. Also strangely Sub kick drums sound flaccid and lacking in weight. The top end is more coloured and it sounds metallic - rather like titanium tweeters. The midrange is lacking lower mids and can sound a touch brash too.

In the end I guess it may just be a mismatch for the MF B1 mk2 as I had heard such good reviews, which prompted me to buy one and mount it onto a dip8 socket!

For now I am sticking with the 4562 for now - as it delivers... and delivers well!

One thing though, When used on a Musical Fidelity MK1 (which I also own) the 4562 detail can be a little harsh and fatiguing. Its revealing listen and can really delight but after a while I want something a little smoother.

Jonathan

Hey Glenn

I have a bass croosover equalizer. The bass was drastically improved when I replaced some generic ne55... with the LM6172's Now I read about how great the LM4562 are. The desngner at National said they sound much better in the TO99 metal cans (and cost a lot more). Do you think it is worth playing around with other op amps here? I could buy a brown dog adapter and try a metal can op amp where the 8 pin sdip is loated on the board. Any thoughts guys

Hey Glenn

I have a bass croosover equalizer. The bass was drastically improved when I replaced some generic ne55... with the LM6172's Now I read about how great the LM4562 are. The desngner at National said they sound much better in the TO99 metal cans (and cost a lot more). Do you think it is worth playing around with other op amps here? I could buy a brown dog adapter and try a metal can op amp where the 8 pin sdip is loated on the board. Any thoughts guys

I have used the AD8065 and AD8066, as well as the DIP8 LM4562 and the LME49720HA (metal can) The LME49720HA (LM4562HA) is indeed a little better sounding than the DIP8 LM4562, perhaps due to better thermal management.
However, both the LM4562 and LME 49720HA are very fussy about their power supplies for best results.
SandyK
P.S.
I obtained my LME49720HA from an ebay seller from Bath in the U.K.
The price is reasonable and service is excellent.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/LME49720...781?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item19c4faded5

Last edited:
Dear Audio Asylum inmates,
please try the new offerings from Burr-Brown/TI?
OPA1611 & OPA1612 numbers comes to mind!
I have tried the rest of Your suggested chips and yes correct The National is very good, but sort of a bit Japanese? Like their luxury brand cars such as Lexus - virtually to perfect and lacking the infamous word soul... Definately better in metal can - has something to do with thermals, as mentioned, but also micro vibrations, when the chip works...
The best all rounder by Yours humble oppinion is still the original Signetics version of the NE series in Cer-Dip encapsulation. But a OPA627 will provide more micro detail, when it comes to very small signals like in MC and RIAA stages. This probable has to do with the difference in how Fet and BiPolar input stages and transistors work IE: A Fet is a controlled resistor and a BiPolar works due to quantum mechanics, resulting in a finite level for resolution. Reason it works relatively well in the NE's is the quite hig current running down the Long Tailored 1st pair of transistors. Also the NE's has their very special 'party trick up their sleeve' - they utilize properly compensated NPN's only for output! This prevents 'deadband x-over distortion by design default!
NOW! If We could only get one of the wonderful manufactures (say TI/B-B) to modify/upgrade this with a Fet input stage and save some of the quite high current at the same go - then we could potentially really have a winner!
But do give the new B-B OPA's a go they are extraordinary at medium level signals. Their Output is with a diamond configuration, which certainly has something to do with it..
All the best of fun
DocO

a1greatdane,

The chip you mentioned you like best: original Signetics version of the NE series in Cer-Dip encapsulation - where might they be bought? I've been using the LME4562HA in a Elliot Sound Products pre-amp (battery powered), after I tried about 15 op-amps. I didn't try the signetics, though. Your comparison with the Lexus stuck home with me - I've always felt it lacked..well, not soul, but midrange warmth.

AD8066 sounds extremely well.
the first OP that if I may say, sounds opposite of empty and boring,
rather rich, realistic with huge bass.
But there is some issues about value of supply voltage
for the maximum stated value of +-12V
SMD version chip going too hot for my opinion
and with that PS value should be used with heat-sink on the top
so I used the chip @ +-8V, app temp about little bit higher than body T.
cheers

Fabulations?

Dear all,
I do appreciate my 'fabulation's', may take and require a certain knowledge of the intricate's of semiconductor physics, chemistry/material selection and their fabrication, to get a form of comprehension and possible appreciation of.

I have recently done a little more studying on the NE553x story and seems like the very best obtainable version of these chips might have been manufactured by Raytheon as: RC553x... and possibly in TO-99 metal can? eBay anyone?
I have myself (with others) had the pleasure of the Signetics Cer'Dip both as single and dual channel and can confirm them, with other fellow colleagues, as been above and better, subjectively sonically of course, than the current offerings.:cool:

All the best
DocO

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.