help please with interconnects!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Can someone with DH Labs silvermatrix ic's please undo one for me and look in the plug. I need to know what the shield looks like and where it is fixed. It is only connected at one end. I bought a pair off e-bay. They were assembled by someone, who apparently didn't do his homework and forgot the shield! at least that is what I surmise. The sound is wierd. This is a simple fix (I hope!) but I cannot for the life of me "see" what the shield is or where it is. I have already posted this on Audio Circlesbut so far no one has answered who has a pair. Thanks. All replies will be appreciated. Shep

OK here's what I can see

A white/insulated center-to-pin
A grey insulated multi-strand to barrel/ground?
Various layers hidden out of sight.
Not much help i realize. I think I'm wasting your time.
Either I take the damn things apart to find out what's not visible
or I leave it the way it is.

As an example, some cables have 'two' earth runs.

The cables I'm using are Canaere star quad (meant for balanced microphones) that I've terminated myself. (a few other cables use the same basic ideas).

My cable has two black and two white insulated conductors plus a braided sheild.

At one end;
two white are signal 'hot' - centre pin.
two black are signal 'cold' - plug casing - gnd.

Same at other end except that the braided sheild is also connected to the plug casing.

Hope this helps......

Hi,
sounds like you have a two core plus maybe shield.

Check the cores are connected like for like at both ends.

Check that the shield is connected at one end to the barrel (ground).
Mark the RCA plug to indicate which end the shield is connected to.

If the shield is not connected at BOTH ends then is is not acting as a shield.

people

The cable works as it. This invisible drain/shield is supposed to be connected at only one end according to"them". If indeed there are only two cores then the grey one is not supposed to connected at one end, but that makes no sense does it?
Sorry I've tried to take a picture but it comes out a shiny blur and anway you couldn't see into the barrel. I really am not keen to undo this and start over again. Cable termination of this kind is
totally stressful and if you get it just a tiny bit wrong, nothing fits.
When I say it works, it doesn't work the way the manufacturer says. He's formal and I agree. Connected the "right" way, with the arrows pointing to the amp, the sound sucks. I think who ever terminated them realized he was out of his depth and said "f..it, who's to know",so he left the shield out of the equation.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Directional

It is common to leave shield disconnected at one end, with "balanced" type cable (2 separate conductors+shield).
Shield/braid is often a lousy conductor.
Wich end the shield should be connected...there seem to be 2 opinions on that too...so you better try them both ways.
And many cables do not have any shield at all...

Arne K

Hi,
your unbalanced interconnect MUST have the pin and the barrel connected at BOTH ends.

If there is a third conductor, the shield, then it can be connected at ONE end only.
The other two must be connected at both ends.

If you have only two conductors, i.e. two core and no shield or single core and shield , Then you must as I said at the top connect both conductors at both ends.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.