Capacitor Type ... Help - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th November 2006, 07:20 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Capacitor Type ... Help

Hello all,
I've got some capacitor from old stock .Do anyone know what type of this cap ?Are they electrolytic , Film ,Foil or ??I would like to use for coupling in tube pre-amp.
Thanks ..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cimg_1221.jpg (25.6 KB, 434 views)
Old 9th November 2006, 08:15 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jacco vermeulen
Cornell Dubilier capacitor.

Polyester foil capacitor, aka MKT.
The WMF series merits is for high current loads, not much of a benefit for a tube amp.
Old 9th November 2006, 08:47 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Many thanks Jacco,
Old 11th November 2006, 07:08 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Location: kansas city mo, and on occasion, around the world ...
Quote:
Originally posted by jacco vermeulen
Cornell Dubilier capacitor.

Polyester foil capacitor, aka MKT.
The WMF series merits is for high current loads, not much of a benefit for a tube amp.

i know of people using these, for coupling,

try these , and see how you like them.
Old 13th November 2006, 01:42 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to mitwrong Send a message via MSN to mitwrong Send a message via Yahoo to mitwrong
Default What is this " capacitor "

Papanohn:

From the photo, it is a teryproprene cap. I've been using these caps. in tube amp. coupling, it sounds great, something like Wima, Ero, mkt series, but not as good as mkp. polyester.

It's a high voltage cap. around 250vac, try them in your tube cct. see if you like the sound?

WE CONSIDER NO WAISTING
Old 13th November 2006, 02:20 AM   #6
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

I used these commercially back in the late 1980's and early 1990's. IMO the WMF series is nothing special, it is just an early type of polyester film and foil. Intended primarly for coupling/bypass applications - I have seen them used in Marantz 10B tuners and model 9 monoblocks as this type became available in the 1960's. Last time I checked they were still in production, however they are no longer made in the USA and depending on vintage can look quite different, part numbers are the same however.

Note that these as shown are clearly marked as 100Vdc and as such are not suitable for use as coupling caps in most tube amplifier topologies. WMF types come in a variety of voltage ranges.

IMO the reference in the spec to high peak current capability is a bit of a red herring, the actual rating is not specified and the comment general purpose is more appropriate.
See here for more information:

http://www.cde.com/catalogs/WMF.pdf

Incidentally I don't think these capacitors sound particularly good compared to a lot of others out there, including a lot of metalized films like the inexpensive ICW Clarity Cap.. Just my opinion, no flame fest please..

As always YMMV.
Old 13th November 2006, 03:16 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to mitwrong Send a message via MSN to mitwrong Send a message via Yahoo to mitwrong
Default CAPACITOR

Kevinkr:
Of cause, these caps. are industrial type, today, many people use oil can capacitor in audio. In famous brand " Western Electric " is the fact. Everyone says Tcc silver film cap provide the best sound,
some say Wonder Cap, Sidereal, black widow, vitamin Q ------etc.

I found the cap we mentioned is not that bad, it produces clean sound than the round oil cap which were used in olden days. ( exactly used in the Japanese products ).

Anyway, you pick the cap. what you like. " ONE MAN'S MEAT IS ANOTHER'S POSION ".

WE CONSIDER PRODUCT AND PRICE
Old 13th November 2006, 08:45 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Hi all,

Many thanks for all comments.I'll try this cap in my 12A6 SE amp asap.

Bye,
Old 13th November 2006, 08:34 PM   #9
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

WMF Generates audible and measurable distortion. Audible smear in high frequencies was my biggest complaint. And yes they are far better than some oil filled caps, but not others. My favorite dielectric is teflon, followed by some paper types and polystyrene. I'm not big on copper clad steel leads either.. My list of acceptable caps in descending order of preference:

* Vcap TFTF
* Rel TFT
* Wonder SETI Caps (version I liked longer made)
* Jensen CPIO (copper and paper in oil)
* Jupiter (some applications)
* Rel RTX (Tizzy, harsh highs, but very detailed)
* Rel RT
* CDE WMF
* Solen (As coupling caps, psu caps would be tops)
* Wima
* Everything else

I haven't tried the Mundorf, a bit too expensive for me, despite some of the obviously expensive ones I already use.

You should definitely start with the WMF, but there are others worth checking out. The Russian milspec surplus Teflons currently available on eBay for short money are very highly regarded by diyers in this neck of the woods. I've heard them in several amplifiers that were quite good sounding. (Have not yet tried them in one of mine.)

Watch the voltage rating, the ones you show are rated 100VDC.

Obviously YMMV

Hide this!Advertise here!