Complementary V-FET's other than IRF's???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i saw them used as output devices in some new accuphase products.
they have a pretty decent transconductance and i'm not familiar with them at all.

btw, not sure what you mean by empty datasheets; they looked about as complete as other power mosfet data sheets i've seen.

mlloyd1

h_a said:
What started your interest in these? Their datasheet is as empty as it can get.

Have fun, Hannes

not sure what you mean by empty datasheets;

The one I read contained only maximum ratings...not even a plot of transconductance versus drain current.

But you're right, switching fets are usually not that well documented.

Have fun, Hannes

What about just use all N channel MOSFETs?

A quasicomplementary design? Why not, if you feel like it ;) But of course you loose the distortion cancellation of symmetrical circuits.

Hi all,
Toshiba has now uploaded full data sheets for above devices.:thumbs up:

From a quick look, these do not seem to be much of an improvement. The 2sk3497 has in comparison to the 2SK1530 twice higher transconductance, but also twice higher input capacitance. You could as well parallel 2x 2SK1530. In addition the 2SK3497 has a smaller case, so higher thermal resistance, lower power dissipation, no VGS-groupings making matching even more fun.

But maybe I'm just overlooking something...

Have fun, Hannes

2sj200 & 2sk1529

Hi all,
I have actually used the above pair x 2 in a rebuild/ severe modification of a Gallien Krüger Keyboard amplifier with excellent result.
Fond the schematic in a dark corner of the World Wild Web, so I had a chance of understanding what was going on in that 'thing'. Replaced the good old TIP's in there, adjusted the Vba multiplier to accommodate for a slight bit more bias and added a current source or two...
And here it comes: I like these devises quite a lot..
Found them subjectively 'smoother and more articulate sounding' than the Hitachi/Renesas ones, not to mention the old TIP war horses. (Yes I do know there is severe differences in the workings on molecular/atomic level, but here sound image is what really matters...).
For this purpose they where 'just the ticket' together with a redesigned and devotedly handbuild by me Wharfedale AlNiCo 12"/2" Voice coil speaker with the hardware reimported from the the US.
Craig Milverton, the owner was and is now an even happier man (after having had to wait a bit for the piece to come together).
Craig happens to be one of the UK's most prominent Jazz pianist's with a very Oscar Peterson like tone and style. His homepage is here: Craig Milverton

Cheers :cheers:
a1greatdane aka Sven Olsen
CSW-Chilli Sound Works
London N4
UK-England

Last edited:
I have had good luck with the BUZ series of lateral MOSFETS. My latest amp design uses four of each polarity paralleled, and I have not had any problems with Vgs matching or uneven idle power dissipation. One problem though, and that is their very high Fc requires care to prevent oscillation. This amp design uses an EC topology, so I did not find transconductance to be a problem.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.