fluorescent light ballasts

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
walking home from the train station today, i saw four chunky fluorescent light ballasts in an open box next to a dumpster. there are 3 Magnetek model 443-L-SLH-TC-P's, and 1 Advance Transformer Mark III model V-140-2-TP. they are all around 8" long, 1.5" tall, and 2.5" wide, and seem to weigh around 4lbs each. i'll post pics in a while.

basically i was wondering if i can use these for something. the magneteks have one primary and 3 secondaries, blue, yellow and red. in all of them, i measure around 30 ohms in the primary, 1 ohm on each secondary, and around 26 ohms between the primary and the blue...? i measure the same ~30 ohms and ~1 ohms on the one primary and one secondary of the Advance.

update: I completely destroyed one of the Magneteks. It has a really weird core, which I'll try to describe (still haven't gotten a charger for my camera). There is a central core, in the shape of a really tall T. The windings were directly wound around this core with insulation separating them from each other. Two L-shaped cores to the right and left closed around the T to form two somewhat regular rectangles.

I had to use a chisel and hammer to excavate this core from a thick layer of black, greasy, waxy stuff that made an unbelievable mess. Black chips of the waxy stuff went everywhere. It was only midway through this process that I looked at my black-stained hands and thought the letters "PCB" but those were banned a long time ago, right? RIGHT?

...right?

:eek:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.