Eagle layout and package types

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am trying to lay out a simple board using Eagle; the board uses all discrete components. Is there a website or reference that shows the basic package names and corresponding pictures for different capacitor types? Eagle has so many packages for surface mount (which I don't want), and I'm worried that the scale will be wrong when I get the finished product if I choose the wrong capacitor parts in the layout.

Hi,
I have tried the evaluation version of eagle.THe "Discrete"library" has the standard parts you need.I refering to the schematic capture part of eagle.When you pick a part it also give the package details.When you use the pcb layout ,the part selected also show package details.The help file should be useful.One hint of type is the spacing/pitch of center holes or smt pads.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2005
The general process starts with knowing what parts you want to use, seeing what packages the parts are available in, then choosing the package you want to use. This is easier for surface mount parts because passive components generally come in standard sizes: 0603, 0805 etc. For through hole resistors you have to go by body size and lead spacing. For caps you go by lead spacing and body diameter.

It usually takes time and a lot of browsing through data sheets to learn about all the different types of packages out there. What's worse is when you run across a package with the same footprint that has a different name... but those are usually more specialized parts.

Eagle User

In my experience, it is totally necessary to just learn to make all the parts needed to make a complete component. This means that you need to go to the manufacturer's website, or wherever , to get the mechanical dimensions of the parts, and create a "Package". It may be that eagle has a bunch, but it seems like I only go a little way before I need to make my own complete components.

I haven't been making PCBs lattely, but when I was , I was using PCBExpress.com. And they now offer a free CAD program, which I would probabaly learn, rather than start with Eagle.

Eagle

You have to find the right library "discrete" is usually the best. then you have to look at the data sheet for the parts or digikey/mouser page to confirm that the dimensions and hole spacings of the package match your parts. You even have to check lead thickness! Sometimes my caps have bigger leads than the holes allow for.

Or else you can measure your parts with a micrometer and measure the board parts with the cursor to see that they will fit.

Yes its kind of a pain until you know which footprints fit which parts.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.