Plasma cutter power supply

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'd love to get any info you could provide!
I've been searching for information about doing the same thing for some time now, and what little I did have was just lost on an un-backed up hard drive.(dumb!, dumb!, Dumb! Me!!)

Any plans, Sites, or other information would be helpful!
I've had so little luck in finding any information on the requirements needed by a Plasma cutter supply.

It might be that, the power supply could be made form a modified existing supply.....I don't know..

Thanks!, I'm really looking forward to seeing where this goes.

Tall Shadow

Well I only have plans for the torch head. I bought them on eBay, and I don't think it would be fair to the seller if I gave them to others. At $7, it's not much to buy them.

A directly mains-rectified and filtered supply using a multi-gallon salt water resistor can be found at http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/plasmacutting/files/HomeBrewPlasma/
However, I'd prefer a more efficient switching supply.

Nice link!
Why not buy there 2 for 69$ each?

• Input: 115 / 230v - 15 amps max. 50 / 60 / 400 Hz
• Output: 48.0v @ 15.6 amps, 5.1v @ 50 amps, 24.0v @ 10 amps / 2000 watts total
• Voltage adjustment: ± 10% minimum
• Line & load regulation: 0.2% + 5mV max
• Ripple: RMS 0.1% or 10mV
• Ripple: Pk-Pk 1% or 50mV
• Dynamic response: 25% load step, 2% or 100 mV (any output)
• Recovery time: To within 1% in 300µ sec
• Overvoltage protection: 2 to 5 V 122% to 134% of output voltage; 12 to 48 V 110% to 120%; recycle AC.
• Overload protection: 105% to 120% of rated current. Auxiliaries 105% - 140%
• Short circuit protection: Protected for continuous short circuit, recovery automatic
• Reverse voltage protection: 100% or rated output current
• Thermal protection: Each module thermally protected. Input module: Auto recovery. Output modules: Recycle AC
• Dimensions: 5" x 11-3/4" x 5"H

Nixie:
"Can I put them in series to get the voltage I need? "

Don´t know but normally the secondary is left floating.

"$138 for under 1.5 kW is steep"

That depends...I suppose to buy only the parts (plus the broken parts ;) )will cost about the same!

"and where's the DIY in buying a complete unit."

And why You look to surplus parts?
You don´t consider to mix and press ferrites and so on....:D
Ok that can be a point, but in my view that is not a challenge in contrast eg to create a useful plasma speaker!

Heinz!

Originally posted by powerbecker
Don´t know but normally the secondary is left floating.
The main point of having a transformer in a plasma cutter supply is isolation from the mains, so that the + clamp connected to the work piece can be grounded, so that the operator is safe. Otherwise I could just directly rectify mains and have the workpiece live, so that I can kill myself.

That depends...I suppose to buy only the parts (plus the broken parts ;) )will cost about the same!
I don't think your estimate is correct for a switching supply, thoug it would be if I went for a linear one, due to the need for a large transformer.

that is not a challenge in contrast eg to create a useful plasma speaker!
My linear plasma speaker supply is 1.8 kW, not 3 to 5, and winding the small gauge winding for the high voltage plasma was trivial compared to what wrestling with a heavy gauge for the low voltage 15+ amp on a transformer of twice the size would be.

Originally posted by Ultima Thule
http://www.paytongroup.com/
Thanks for the link, but, as they are a manufacturer and not a retailer, somehow I doubt they'll sell me in quantities less than a hundred.

Nixie:
The main point of having a transformer in a plasma cutter supply is isolation from the mains, so that the + clamp connected to the work piece can be grounded, so that the operator is safe. Otherwise I could just directly rectify mains and have the workpiece live, so that I can kill myself.

???
When the sec side is floating you can connect it where you like!

"I don't think your estimate is correct for a switching supply, thoug it would be if I went for a linear one, due to the need for a large transformer."

After you get finished it you will know it exactly!

"My linear plasma speaker supply is 1.8 kW, not 3 to 5, and winding the small gauge winding for the high voltage plasma was trivial.."

The powersupply is only a part of it. There is much more to do also the amp I count with!

"...compared to what wrestling with a heavy gauge for the low voltage 15+ amp on a transformer of twice the size would be."

No worry you had to use a lot of thin wires...litz for high frequency 15A...;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.