Fuses and the such--Marantz 2238B

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi--

I'm not very experienced at DIY electronics, but I have this old Marantz Model 2238B amp, and a few months ago, there was a little explosion sound and burst of light that came from it, and it stopped making sound. I figured the fuse had blown, so I took out both the 250V1A and 250V2A fuses (labeled F701 and F702, respectively). The filiment in the 1A was broken, so I went to radioshack and got a replacement. Twice I replaced it and both times the new fuse blew almost immediately. I decided to plug the amp into a surge protecter to ground it, and this time the fuse didn't blow, but the part labeled R782 started glowing red and giving off smoke, so I turned the amp off. When I've turned it on a few times after that, it doesn't glow red, but still no sound comes out of the speakers. I'm not sure exactly what this part is, but I included a picture of it (with a close-up of the specific part).

Any suggestions/advice?

Attachments

• ampburntpartsmaller.jpg
    ampburntpartsmaller.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 75
Up in smoke...

Obviously your Marantz has failed....when the fuse popped it was protecting other sections of the circuitry...It would appear that when you started goofing with it, more components are failing...the component you noted was a simple resistor....perhaps a two watt version....unfortunately once resistors burn the color codes are unreadable.....You will need to find a full schematic to fix your prized Marantz. It would appear that you don't really know whats going on so you will need to take it to a technician.
These old Marantzs' are rather valuable & any reasonable sum is worth it to fix these wonderful machines.
___________________________________Rick...........

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.