Black gate caps = religion = humbug?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Thx for the tip. But have you seen the prices eg Rubycon BLACK GATE NX series electrolytic capacitor 2200uF 6.3V (2 pcs) | eBay no Certificate of Authenticity)

I decided to sell my complete stock as I have other priorities at the moment. They will show up in the swap meet section. All original, no certificate though (as if that ever existed). Hate to see them go though as there is no substitute.

I'm wondering, as with other technologies, if there has been any efforts to achieve the same goals using different processes maybe. Sometimes the first way isn't always the best way, even if it produced some good results.
Who knows...

Wow, 100k uf of bg, that's pretty neat, those must be worth a $100,000 now right? :)

My Borbely/Hafler has to make do with 44,000, epcos.

As you have seen Audio Note tries to offer a comparable capacitor. They call it the Kaisei series. I doubt if they also use the palladium/platinum alloy particles. They seem to use graphite impregnated paper.

kµF is not ISO. It is called milliFarad (mF) or, more standard, 100,000 µF.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Huh ?! I would choose the puppy with the nicest character.

If one has not used BG it is impossible to comment on their quality. Not meant derogative or something like that. They are different. Many that have not tried them speak about BG in a negative way (snake oil, humbug etc.) but trying is believing. Or "was believing", they are out of production for a long time now. I still think some series were exceptional parts. As we can see measurements prove that they do measure very good. Too bad those measurements come now when we can not buy them anymore ;)

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
FWIW I used BG NX Hi-Q for decoupling DAC and SPDIF receiver chips. I have used BG NX HiQ 0.1 µF as bypass cap for larger electrolytic caps with good results. This was an exception as it really was better (with the NX 22 and 47/6.3) to use them without any other cap in parallel. For instance BG NX in parallel with ceramic caps did not work out well in some cases. To be honest I found optimal use of these BG an art itself.

N series are better as coupling cap in the signal path. The 10 µF is phenomenal. Never experienced any negative side effect with N series. Better than film caps how contradictory it may sound.

Last edited:
I decided to sell my complete stock as I have other priorities at the moment. They will show up in the swap meet section. All original, no certificate though (as if that ever existed). Hate to see them go though as there is no substitute.

I'm looking forward to it. sure certificates never existed...but the seller@ebay ask for jewellery prices.

As you have seen Audio Note tries to offer a comparable capacitor. They call it the Kaisei series. I doubt if they also use the palladium/platinum alloy particles. They seem to use graphite impregnated paper.

According to their marketing they try to rebuilt the BG expect of the graphite paper which seems to be their next big thing. So maybe they use palladium as mentioned earlier in this thread?

...we realised that it would be possible to put together a range of more affordable electrolytic capacitors that use all of the same materials as these supreme components (the same special electrolyte, foil and construction quality) apart from the hyper expensive and extremely difficult to produce Graphite impregnated paper, so the only difference between the KAISEI capacitors and the forthcoming Black Gate replacements is that the paper is not graphite impregnated in the KAISEI, otherwise they are the same.

Audio Note

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.