ferric chloride

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
More potent for what? Trust me, the stuff is nasty enough as it is, and you don't want to go mucking about heating it or mixing it with other stuff. Just write it off and dispose of it properly. If it's laundry bleach, give it away to your neighbors. Your neighborhood will have the brightest whites anywhere.

MR

Fetilizer

I believe this tread has established that Ferric Chlorite:

A- does not smell like bleach
B- is brown
C- leaves nasty stains
D- etches copper

Let me add a couple of nice properties -

E- plants seem to love it. When it nears exhaustion I pour it in the pots with the philodendrons. I don't the biochemistry wqell but they guy at the gargen store says it gets broken down and converted to chlorphile.

F- is is used in municipal and industrial wastewater treatment --disinfectant and for "flocculating" whaterver that is.

G- Preparation of drinking water - apearently binds with nasty metals and causes them to settle out.

You can also look at an MSDS: www.mgchemicals.com/msds/415.html

Actually, if you are going to use chemicals in your hobby, I suggest downloading an MSDS for each of them.

Re: Fetilizer

sam9 said:
I believe this tread has established that Ferric Chlorite:

F- is is used in municipal and industrial wastewater treatment --disinfectant and for "flocculating" whaterver that is.

Flocculation is when particles in a liquid groups together in
larger and larger aggregates, so that they can be easily
filtered away. Since many types of particles flocculate very
slowly or not at all, one usually adds a flocculating agent (I
don't know if this is the proper english term) which helps
the particles flocculate. These agents are chemically called
ion bridges, so I assume they have the property that they
form a "bridge" between ions so they can bind to each other
via this agent. There are different version of flocculating
agents depending on which types of ions they are to bridge
(pos-pos, neg-neg, pos-neg). I understand that these
substances are usually based on polyacrylic amides. I had
no idea ferrochloride could be used, though.

There are all sorts of flocculants other than ion bridges. Bentonite, isenglass, egg whites, silanes... basically, anything that will get colloidal particles to clump up.

"Flocculating agent" is an OK term , though usually it's called a "flocculant." There's a dirty joke in there somewhere, if you care to dig it out.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.