Non-standard rackmount

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I need a steel (except the aluminum faceplate) rackmount case that's not as wide as the usual 19". I've seen some, but they were all not tall enough, about 2.25". I'd like something no wider than 15" and at least 3" tall, 4" better. Or if I can't find that narrow, I'd make do with a standard width but very short depth (same height).

Rackmount IS standardized. 1 Height unit (HE) is 44,4 mm or 1.75" and width is 19" or 483 mm on the tip of the "ears". Depth varies a lot.
There are submodules intended to be connected in width to form one standard width, and height of modules will follow multiple of the HE.

WHat you are looking for is a box, non standard, and you wil probably have to make suitable "ears" or mounting fixtures yourself. Any electronics vendor shpuld be possible. Otherwise you will have to adapt to to the rack units regime.

What II've done for rackmount cases was buy the blank Hammond aluminum faceplates, then bolt them to a chassis box (19" faceplate 3.5 nches high, with a 3" x 17" x something box for example). If you're after a narrower cabinet, buy a standard panel and cut it down, with an appropriate chassic box behind it.

Or, since you're in Vancouver, check out Lee's Electronics on Main street; there were some reasonably priced cabinets there.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.