what is the safest solder

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
newbie question:

What is the safest (i.e., least toxic) solder available (for electronics)?

I know about the lead-free solders, but my search of the forums also uncovered a very brief mention of solders that use lemon extract as the flux in order to eliminate formaldehyde being released when rosin flux is heated.

Thanks.

Re: Ecosol is a low VOC flux

jackinnj said:
If you are worried about the lead there are devices to remove fumes at your soldering stations.

I did some reading on the web a while ago when last discussing
solders and the lead is not a concern regarding the fumes, since
there will be no lead particles in the smoke until you reach
temperatures above 500 deg. C. The fluxes matters though.

Lead can be a problem still. One has to be even more careful
washing ones hands, be more careful if drilling tinned paths
on a veroboard etc. I finally decided to buy Ecosol myself to
get rid of the lead.

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
SOLDERING.

Hi,

Per-Anders,

That is of course correct.

Let's just say that,like anything else for that matter,you need to pick the right tools for the job.
Isn't that what sets the pro apart from the amateur?

In general,I prefer low melting points over higher ones;it does make for faster work and less chance for damage.

However when I want to do a state of the art job I take the best I can get no matter how much time it takes.
If that includes leadfree,high melting soldering so be it.

Cheers,;)

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
The lead free 4% silver solder from Radio Slack is devoid of lead, but still contains toxic flux. The flux is also “known to the state of California to cause cancer”. The rest of the world is still in the dark about that threat.:scratch:

Rodd Yamashita

Attachments

• rs_solder_03.jpg
    rs_solder_03.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 195
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.