Simple Volume Attenuator IC Advice Needed

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

have a small 5.1 homecinema project in front of me, I need now a simple attenuator IC for volume controll as I don't want to go with 6 ganged potentiometer because either they are expensive or in el-cheapo style not available.

Can anyone advise on an afordable IC that can be adjusted preferably by a adjustable ref voltage, the circuit don't have to be a really dedicated such for audio, maybe a suitable switch IC would do and a resistor ladder or so?

Oh, should mention it dosen't have to be a fine resolluting attenuator, 5-6 bit will do for my el-cheapo project, suggestions?

Cheers Michael

Had a lookaround at Maxim's site and found a couple of circuits, the only 6 ch (64 position) found was a linear though I wanted a log, DS1806, it has to be controlled by some logic so maybe I will put a PIC into work. Cost at Farnell around 10€.

Two other suitable ones were dual/stereo types with 32 positions, MAX5440, uses with a rotary switch makes it swift to put in use with nice "analog" feeling, and secondly MAX5456/5457, uses with push button makes them a bit boring. The drawbacks with these are that I have to use 3 in parallel...:(

Well, have to ponder my findings, but now it's bed time! :angel:
And please keep posting if any of you have suggestions.

Cheers Michael

Would just add up to my thread that Intersil have as well a bunch of potentiometer circuits, though non of them 6 channel and non as easilly implemeted as the PT2327.

http://www.intersil.com/products/pt/parametric_table_10763.asp

Have googled for a while and the PT2327 seem to be very hard to find in Europe, found one broker in US but I doubt they are interested in small quantities... :xeye:

Mitsubishi, Sanyo and Renesas have all some very fine 6ch circuits with even tone controlls etc. but then again it's mostly with sofisticated uC controll use, haven't checked availability yet but now it's bed time.

Cheers Michael

Wouldn't have anything against going to Asia which I will some day, but maybe not yet, Princetone are represented in both Germany, France and Italy so I have to e-mail them. :)

Germany:
Elatec

Italy:
Microelit

France:
www.IC-REP.com, empty page...

Whish me luck!

Cheers Michael

PS: Had a chat with the admin, they had a little bit outdated Bogon list which didn't allow anything on IP starting at 60.x.x.x to pass through, but it's fixed and am now able to view Princetones site. :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.