powder coating VS painting?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I guess that would all depend on your application.

Powder coating is generally more durable than paint, but has a tendency to "chip" if something hits it or if its on a soft metal such as aluminum. Also, when the powder coating is being applied, it tends to have a hard time covering sharp edges like you would find on a heatsink.

I have seen matte black powder coat, so I know its available.

Much depends on the substrate and its coatings and platings. In the early days it was assumed that surface preparation and plating were less important... history has proven otherwise. One key problem is that the film itself is stronger than its bond to some metals. The result is that lacking proper platings etc... corrosion can spread like wildfire under the film.

What are you looking to cover?

Matte black is certainly available.

All in all powder coating is pretty tough stuff... especially the epoxy stuff. The ultimate in finish quality, appearence, remains paint.

poobah said:
All in all powder coating is pretty tough stuff... especially the epoxy stuff.

I'm just about to have a powdercoated aluminium slate rooftop.
Supposed to be the best solution for living this close to the waterfront.
Highly durable, 50 years guaranteed, but don't throw bricks on it.

Paint can be polished, think pianos and cars, powdercoating not.

poobah said:
All in all powder coating is pretty tough stuff... especially the epoxy stuff. The ultimate in finish quality, appearence, remains paint.

TGIC powders are some of the best these days. Epoxy is not good for outdoors use as its UV unstable and you can't get a good gloss. You can actually polish powdercoat.

You can get VERY high gloss TGIC powders but they show up any flaws in the substrate and if you overbake them (as I usually do :( ) they go dull.

For a matt or satin finish I'd go for powdercoat any day. If you get problems with sharp edges it means they're using too many volts on the gun.

Jarthel,

Many manufacturers, myself included, are opting for power coated parts. When done right, it is hard to tell one from other.

The reasons behind all this are many:

1) Powder coating allows for unskilled operators in the application, the film thickness is controlled by the process and not the operator.

2) Powder coating does not release volatile solvent solvents in the air... cuts down on pollution, and the expense of the solvents in the first place.

3) Powder coating allows for the use of materials that did not lend themselves well to solvent sprayed processes.

4) The process is completely cost competive, if not cheaper, than solvent sprayed painting. With the right equipment, the process can be virtually waste free.

All in all, it is a good environmental and economic thing. I'll bet it won't be too long before we see automobiles powder coated.

:)

Powder coating easily chips off when the surface is not prepared well.

I have had my amp cases powder coated as well as painted. It depends on your taste. Here in India, we have another kind of paint known as 'vapocure' by a brand called MRF. It is sprayed and leaves a lacquer finish.

A good finish can be obtained by lacquering a painted and rubbed surface.

While everybodys at it, I have a question. Any idea how to get a scratch resistance epoxy coat done on Ply or MDF? I've seen this kind of textured tough finish on some EV and JBL speaker cabs. Ofcourse, PA is a different ball game but I need to get my touring stuff done up that way. Thanks.

One thing that can catch out powdercoating is that you have to bake it. A friend had his amp case powdercoated and it warped.

Samuel, the finish you are on about has been described on here before. I think it was in a thread I started about truck bed liner in the UK as I was looking for the same thing you are, and I thought it was what our American friends on here keep referring to as truck bed liner.

edit: found thread http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=67004&highlight=

poobah said:

All in all, it is a good environmental and economic thing. I'll bet it won't be too long before we see automobiles powder coated.

They are powder-coating and UV curing auto parts already.

richie00boy said:
One thing that can catch out powdercoating is that you have to bake it. A friend had his amp case powdercoated and it warped.

edit: found thread http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=67004&highlight=

UV curable photopolymers which work very well -- and the substrate won't warp -- problem is that you need a bank of UV lights to cure the product -- very capital intensive.

jarthel said:

better and more durable than powder coat?

anodizing causes the surface of aluminum to be transformed with a layer of aluminum oxide -- tough stuff --

the UV curable powder coatings we use cross-link into a plastic on top of the substrate with little penetration -- very tough indeed but there is no chemical change of the substrate.

edit -- forgot to mention that you can anodize titanium, and I believe that USX did some work on anodizing other metals --

with anodizing, I would assume that I need to sand the powder coating that is presently used in the chassis?

ps. the chassis has some scratches here and there so that's why i'm thinking of what my options are so it'll look nice :) not that bad yet but I would like to know my options if it comes to that point

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.