help with ntc thermistor

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I decided to connect a 10ohm ntc thermistor on the "hot" wire of the IEC socket. I then connected the leads of the VOM on both leads of the thermistor.

from what I understand, an ntc thermistor's resistance will decrease. This is also the same in my situation. BUT once the resistance measures near zero, it begins to go up and down.

any ideas?

thank you.

ntc

Not sure what a VOM is (voltmeter?) but if the load is not drawing constant current, the thermister may cool off and resistance will rise.

Just to restate the obvious...if you are using a voltmeter, are you measuring voltage or resistance across the thermister? You want to measure the voltage across it, if the power is "on" not resistance.

Re: ntc

lgreen said:
Not sure what a VOM is (voltmeter?) but if the load is not drawing constant current, the thermister may cool off and resistance will rise.

Just to restate the obvious...if you are using a voltmeter, are you measuring voltage or resistance across the thermister? You want to measure the voltage across it, if the power is "on" not resistance.

volt-ohm-meter (old school here even though the meter I've used in university 10 years ago are digital)

the current load is constant since they are tube heaters. (B+ supply isn't connected yet. just testing the DC supply).

I thought measuring resistance would have the same effect as measuring voltage?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.