as long as a solder is eutectic, does it mean it's good?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I found some lead-free solder solder in the Farnell catalog. It is made my Stannol by according to the datasheet, it is eutectic.

Composition is: 95.5% tin; 3.8% silver and .7% copper. The melting point is 217C degrees.

Is there any disadvantage over lead solder? I know cardas is selling eutectic non-lead free and I somehow doubt that is inferior to the cardas eutectic solder with lead.

here's the datasheet: http://au.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSearch/partDetail.jsp?SKU=8400300

Thanks for the reply.

Stick with your first choice... the multicore... with lead and silver.

Used for high quality weapons the world over

Lower temp

Nice shiny joints

No Cardas name

High quality

Made by solder experts... not fruitcake audio marketers

No possibility of tin whiskers

Thumb your nose at the stupid environmentalists that brought this garbage upon us

:)

Note: the medical industry, the military, aviation,/aerospace, back-up power, fixed telecom, and most "monitoring" equipment is exempt from lead free... for reasons of reliability. As the battle rages on, this will come to include power plant, building safety etc... lead-free will be limited (and should be) limited to the throw consumer trash.

Hi,
your eutectic triple is a good electronics solder.

Two things may go against it.
Good/poor wetting of the surfaces.
High temperature.

Your iron temp might need to be raised by 30 to 40Cdeg to achieve quick joint completion.

Good old fashioned 63/37 eutectic is better than many lead free.
Although some with either some added copper and/or silver to save the bit or the plated pins have advantages.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.