XLR Cnnector Recommendations & DIY Tips

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

Hi all,
I am making some cables for my DJ system.
I am looking for XLR connector recommedations please.
These will be cable ends:
Best ones to be used for interconnects also for mics?
Brand / Model
Source / price
Any DIY tips / advice?
Thank you inadvace.

I mostly use Neutrik connectors (XLR, jack etc.) as they are good quality. Not the cheapest, but they have never let me down and are a dream to solder. Expect to pay between £3-£4 (females more expensive).

You can get them pretty much anywhere, I get mine from Farnell or Canford in UK.

Mic and signal cable I use either Van Damme or Sommer, 2 core with screen. Again, either Farnell or Canford, or Studiospares.

Go for balanced cables wherever possible.

Belden & Switchcraft / Neutrik

I just ordered Belden 1505F / Canare RCAs from www.BlueJeansCable.com. :D I could not find any cheaper source , or I would have made them myself. Like this:
Belden 1800 F from www.westlake-electronic.com
& Switchcraft XLRs for microphones
& Neutrik XLRs for interconnects
& Kester silver solder
?Any tips / pointers?
I am a new DJ .
These are going to be interconnects between my x-over & amps.
Thanks as always.

I have to say that I wouldn't use any other XLR connector before Neutrik. Very reliable and very easy to assemble / solder. Also, they can supply any number of configurations - nickel plated or black bodies, silver or gold contacts, etc.

Hard to argue against the use of Belden cable. Again, very reliable, and rugged if required. Digital or analogue, I think it's of the highest quality.

In Britain, Canford Audio can supply both these brands. They also supply cables to their own very high specification, which compete competitively on price with Belden.

Regards,
Ian

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.