microphone cable vs coaxial cable

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
All music you'l play has been recorded using microphone-cable.
Microphone-cable is balanced, coax-cable is unbalanced.
Nearly all Hifi equipment uses unbalanced connections.
So you probably need coax.

If you have microphone-cable laying around and want to use
it, just connect one of the two inner-conductors to ground or,
use one inner for signal, the other for ground-connection and
connect the shield only at the one side that connects to the
output.

Soundquality and noise are due to cable-quality, not balanced
or unbalanced.

Balanced connections are useful at long distances, (electro-
magnetic) noisy enviroments and complex installations.

Andre

Hi,
I was under the impression, when I was young and stupid ( well I'm no longer young) that using screened twin core would solve all the interference/hum problems that come with unbalanced cable.
I was wrong then and the same still applies.

The source and receiver must be designed to make best use of the twin core (mic) cable.
Psuedo balanced can improve rejection but takes a lot of effort and measuring to extract that small improvement (judging by the reading I have done).
WJung & DSelf and others tackle this field well. Rane and Jensen are also worth consulting.

Capacitance and inductance affect the terminations. I believe that much of the sound quality claims are down to "balancing" the requirements of the terminations and thus minimise compromises by using various C & L to tailor the sound.

As said you will probably need to use coax.

AndrewT said:
Capacitance and inductance affect the terminations. I believe that much of the sound quality claims are down to "balancing" the requirements of the terminations and thus minimise compromises by using various C & L to tailor the sound.

The cable itself is usually the dominant source of capacitance. By termination I think of the actual connector system used. Choose what connector you like the look of that suits your budget, robustness and 'plugability' criteria mix.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.