amp rating for fuse and fuse holder?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Need help understanding what amp rating to use for fuse and fuseholder.

I have in hand a Calrad panel mount fuse holder rated 10a @ 250VAC. I'm in States using ~120VAC. Does this mean the fuseholder is rated at something higher than 10a? I have a 20amp 3AB fuse. Unless the fuseholder is 20am for 120VAC (2x 10a @ 250vac), I know I can't use a fuse rated higher than the holder.

I also have a 20a 125VAC spst toggle to be used as power switch. Do I have the right parts? If not, what do I need to replace?

I'm assembling tube-lover's v2 tda1541 dac. three transformers. Don't know the VA ratings. But he included a 15a 250VAC integrated iec inlet/fuse holder. I can't use this, but this tells me that I don't need more than 15a fuse. Any advise?

Hi, amperage is the same for 120 or 240v. 10A is all you'll safely get out of it, and it will run hot at 10A.. Better to get a heavier one.
A 15A fuse sounds like a lot for a dac, but he may be allowing for turn on surge which could be significant with three transformers. Of course this depends on their size. What are the output ratings of each?

The dac board is powered by a transformer that says 18-0-18VAC

A another set of secondaries of this same transformer go to the tube buffer; 6.3V

A second transformer goes to the tube buffer 230-0-230VAC

A third transformer goes to the tube buffer; 9V

The tube buffer can run 6c45 or 6dj8 with EZ80 or 6X4.

Maybe this info will help someone more experienced than me figure this out. The designer did not spec 15amp fuse....he didn't spec anything...he just sent an integrated iec inlet/fuse holder rated 15a. Maybe this is overkill?

Ah, so there is no fuse in the inlet- that's the rating. For your dac the 10A fuse holder will be fine. There's no reason it should use anywhere near it's rating of current. Put a 2A fuse in there and you should be fine. If for some reason it blows on power up replace it with a 3A but a 2 should do it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.