can u name this component?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i am rebuilding some 1972' jensen 4-ways for my boss.
i replaced most of the drivers with comparable units from partsexpress. but there is one part i am having trouble replaceing because i dont know what its called or what it is.
the boxes have one-15", sub one-8"woofer, one-3.5"mid
and two-silk dome tweeters.
AND TWO NOBS-the mistery parts.
one of the nobs. one is labeled mid frequency, and the other is labeled high frequency,
one of the boxes the nobs work fine, turn up the high and the tweeters get louder, turn up the mid and the mids get louder.

but on the other boxes(there are 4 of them) the frequency adjustment nobs are smoked, i took one of them out(i kliped its wires off without labeling them and caused my self to cuss, then puzzle it out useing the other intact box as an example) and opened it up and found that its parts are burned up and blackened.
hummm frequency adjustment nob...... perhaps i have just answerd my qwestion for my self.....will check it out.
i will post a picture as soon as the batery on the camara charges.
your help and gidance is greatly apreiceated.
LAR

I will second that mike.m216:D :D :D : You probably need to maintain the impeadance during adjustment or a change in the frequiency characteristics will result. The output of the pad will be a varying of the power to that speaker...
Picture's are generally worth thousands of word though...

Hi,
adjustable Lpads that can take speaker power are likely to be expensive.

Measure the Lpad that is working to find the resistor ratio you like the sound of.

Buy fixed power resistors to mimic the Lpad setting and have a listen.

You may find the fixed resistors sound even nicer than the adjustable and end up making all the speakers fixed.

Larrellios pics 1

Attachments

• lpad1.jpg
    lpad1.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 122
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.