cleaning off after assembly flux?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi richie00boy,
Pinkmouse is right. If it cleans up with water, that's the stuff that can cause trouble. Too easy.

Hi poobah,
I was never one for immersing a board. I have done so with mild detergent and water, but flux wasn't the issue in those cases. Immediate wash with water and heat gun dry. I too remove globs of flux with small picks or a hobby knife blade. Much better than dissolving all that stuff.

Clipped,
Those components will be fine with a good wash in solvent. The worst thing that can happen is that the numbers may wash off. I'd worry about the quality of the part in that case. Rosin based flux is not conductive, but may absorb water vapour and become conductive.

I like to clean the flux off for a couple reasons. One, solder trails become visible (and bridges). Secondly, most people do not clean up after and therefore I can tell if anyone has been messing around.

-Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.