Mill your LED's!!! - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th August 2006, 06:46 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Mill your LED's!!!

I was in need of a LED for a project and all I had on hand was various colors of 5mm LED's. The size of the LED didn't please my eye and I also didn't like how it threw off a focused beam of light.

Here was my solution......

Click the image to open in full size.

Its very fast and easy to do. All I used was a cordless drill and a file. The LED lense material is easy to mill and also very strong. You can make it pretty thin without worrying about it breaking off.

I'm probably not the first person to think of this, but I havn't seen it done before.
Old 11th August 2006, 07:40 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i wish i had thought of that!
i think ill try that
Old 11th August 2006, 08:42 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Can you get a photo of that from an isometric view, please? Looks awesome from the side!
Old 11th August 2006, 09:07 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Hope this is what you mean....

Old 11th August 2006, 09:27 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Yes, that is what I meant. Looks good from that angle too.

I know at least one person who has done that before, but I hadn't seen it until now.
Old 11th August 2006, 09:31 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Here is a pic of the amp I used it on. I had to pad it down with a 2k resistor, having all that light collecting in the small tip made a blinding sight.

The AMP3 based amp is a birthday present for my my lil' bro in the marines. Hope he likes it.

Old 11th August 2006, 10:52 PM   #7
cpemma is offline cpemma  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by carlsonmark
I know at least one person who has done that before, but I hadn't seen it until now.
I flattened the top of a 3mm blue LED on my T-amp mod to kill the concentrated glare from in front, worked quite well. The dome shape is the main "lens" that determines beam angle on LEDs.

A guy called macroman at Bit-Tech drills holes into LEDs and fits a length of fibre-optic cable for a tiny point of light on such things as control knobs...he must have the touch of a midwife. That was first published Jan 1, 2002 so maybe pioneering.

btw, you can buy LEDs like the top one, "lighthouse" case down to about 2mm dia, though not in blue or white AFAIK.
Old 11th August 2006, 11:03 PM   #8
BWRX is offline BWRX  United States
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Very cool! It looks to be a very good way to turn the clear lens LEDs into something much more diffuse.
Old 12th August 2006, 12:05 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Yes, the diffused look was ultimately what I was going for. I could have just sanded the end, but I also wanted something smaller than 5mm.

I know you can buy diffused LED's of different sizes, but this forum is about DIY!!! Not to mention I have about a bazillion 5mm clear LED's.
Old 12th August 2006, 01:12 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

You guys know of course that LED is an acronym. It stands for light emitting dot .
On April 01,2012, my radioastronomy Project TARGET SETI search succeeded. The signal came via extradimensional subspace, not radio waves. I now get a lot of 'visitors'. I took my avatar pic of one friend watching me in my work yard from just 20 ft. away.

Hide this!Advertise here!