snake cable - drain wire connects to..??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just soldered up a 12 channel snake cable w/ balanced 1/4" phono connectors. (that was fun :xeye: ).
Canare l-4e3-p Series.

What do I do with the bare copper drain wire ?

The snake cable is being used for balanced audio IN/OUT between my computer's soundcard (RME) and an effects/synth 19" rack.

(I am not utilizing a "bus ground" in the rack. I have no hum problems thnk gd.)

=RR=

Re: Re: snake cable - drain wire connects to..??

infinia said:

No... do not connect it to a floating rack.
I assume this is the source and yes other end floats.

Most pro racks run a bare piece of bus wire 12AWG or braid to each and every chassis in the rack.

Yes, I was wrong in believing the rack would serve as a bussed ground. (I have not filed down the backs of my gear's faceplates, nor do I want to...).

But I am wondering ...if I ever decide to add a star ground (copper buss) in my rack, does that mean that I will have to lift the sheild(ground) in most of my interconnects, to eliminate ground loops?
Right now, all my cables' sheild is serving as ground, and is connected at both ends. (balanced and unbalanced connections)......maybe I'm lucky, as right now, there is no hum.

There is a good (old) thread at Recording.org, but it's lengthy, so I copied it to a file, which I'll read tomorrow:
http://www.recording.org/ftopict-6000-drain.html

=RR=

I understood from your first post that you are running strictly balanced. This is of course is the abs. best for ground loops and S/N perspective. To minimize the possibility of ground loops all shields are connected at one end only. The signal is not referenced to ground as it's differential, gaining about 6 dB in S/N and more not being subject to noise flowing through the shield connection.
Now if you mix a single ended conn, into the equation, then all above is lost. Then we must conn. all shields to both ends, basically ground the sh** out of everything.
Now common mode noise is a problem and could be summed at an input.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.