lead-free solder: shiny when liquid but suddenly it turned dull when it solidified

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Re: lead-free solder: shiny when liquid but suddenly it turned dull when it solidified

jarthel said:
should I be worried? the station was at 300 degrees celsius.

thanks for the replies

No, there is no worry. What you need to look for is the wetting of the solder to the materials. A good joint will have the same geometry regardless of the alloy type.

The only thing you need worry about is the higher temperatures required for the solder, as insulation and parts are temp sensitive.

rabbitz said:
What you see is what you get with lead free.

Personally, I'm stocking up on leaded solder before it disappears.
As the solder ages, it'll get worse. Why not get the new stuff and learn how to use it?

A process hint:

When using this higher temp stuff, I use a liquid R type flux, squirt a little into the joint, then use the iron to melt the solder, push the solder inbetween the tip and the part..Let the molten solder heat the parts up, instead of the iron to part contact. If you work this right, you can keep the parts from getting too hot while the reflow is taking place. It's like heating chocolate by using a pan within a pan, water being the transfer fluid..the inner pan will never go over 100C.

Takes a little practice, but the guys here larned it purty quick, and so far, only one bad joint.

Cheers, John

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.