DIY speaker selector

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Attached is a diagram of DIY speaker selector that I'm thinking to make before the end of this year. Though only 3 pairs of speakers are drwan in the diagram right now, it will actually be 7 pairs of speakers. So far, it's a simple relay circuit. Any kind of comment would be appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

• sel.jpg
    sel.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 1,683
parts list

The following is parts list:

Relay:
Miniature enclosed power relay. 12 Vdc, 416 Ohm coil. Pc Pins.SPDT contacts rated 12 Amps @ 277 Vac, 16 Amps @ 250 Vac.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

7 Position Rotary Switch:
Miniature single-pole, 7-position rotary switch with 1/8" diameter x 0.22" long shaft. 0.25" diameter 0.27" long threaded bushing. 0.6" diameter x 0.68" long body. Gold-plated solder terminals.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Power supply:
Input: 115 / 230 VacOutputs: 5 Vdc @ 0.7A and 12 Vdc @ 1.3A6.75" x 3.75" x 1.1." 9" wire leads with Molex-type connectors for output. 115/230 V selector slide switch.

These are pretty much I can think of now. Please feel free to add comment. Thanks.

SPEAKER SELECTOR CIRCUIT

It looks like your circuit is what's called "break before make". To cut to the chase, using this circuit will blow out your amplifier. Going from seeing infinite impedance to almost nothing will cause a feedback spike that causes the output stage to turn on to damaging levels. Its the same thing as if you shorted the output.

I hope you read this before you try it:att'n:

-Joe E. Baby

Well... I haven't noticed that there was a reply. Fortunately, I haven't tried this project. Well... It would be correct to say that I haven't finished the whole project. Everything was assembled on PCBs, but not as a whole.
So, how could I avoid/reduce the feedback spikes? Does this also happen in solid state amplifiers? Could anybody let me know? Thanks.

Re: SPEAKER SELECTOR CIRCUIT

redrumjoe666 said:
It looks like your circuit is what's called "break before make". To cut to the chase, using this circuit will blow out your amplifier. Going from seeing infinite impedance to almost nothing will cause a feedback spike that causes the output stage to turn on to damaging levels. Its the same thing as if you shorted the output.

I hope you read this before you try it:att'n:

-Joe E. Baby

isn't this the way all relay based delay circuits in solid state amps work :eek:

greetz Rudy

Old thread but something of what I need to build also. Pretty much every solid state amp I have has a speaker selector switch that disconnects the speakers completely. Plus there is the power on relay also. There is no dummy load switched in. I looked at the schematics.

It would be also cool to have a multi amp switch also. to switch in different power amps....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.