Flexible wire: what is it called? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Parts

Parts Where to get, and how to make the best bits. PCB's, caps, transformers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st August 2006, 03:42 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Flexible wire: what is it called?

I'm looking for small gauge (22 AWG or smaller) stranded flexible wire. I don't know how to describe it, but it should be very soft (i.e. not able to stand up in the air on its own).

I recently got some 22AWG stranded wire, but it is still very stiff, and it's not exactly something I can use for long lengths (it would get kinked easily).

==> What is the more "flexible" wire called? Is it more flexible because of the insulation?
Old 1st August 2006, 04:04 AM   #2
poobah is offline poobah  United States
diyAudio Member

Oddly enough it is called flexible wire. Sometimes it is called tinsel although this is a special construction, sometimes with a soft filler core, sometimes braided.

2 issues effect flex: First is the stranding, it is listed like "7/30" for a typical low-flex 22 AWG stranded wire. This means 7 strands of 30 AWG wire. The same 22 AWG wire can be "168/44"; this is 168 strands of 44 AWG wire. The more strands, the more flexible, and of course, the more $$.

Second is insulation; the softer, or thinner it is, the more flex, Weight can fool you here, a heavy but soft insulation can seem more flexible just because it is collapsing under its own weight. Polyethylenes, teflons, and kynars tend to be stiff. PVCs are softer. Silicones and rubbers are the softest. Keep in mind there are a zillion types of ALL of these... so these are just guidelines.

Look here .

Old 2nd August 2006, 05:03 AM   #3
clem_o is offline clem_o  Philippines
diyAudio Member

Phono wire (not sure of the term either, but works for me here)?

this is the stuff used to connect the cartridge, thrugh the tone arm to some mounting point of the phono base.

Cheers!
Old 2nd August 2006, 03:48 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Seems pretty much like Litz wire to me (used for crystal radio coilds (spider web, honeycomb, etc)
Old 2nd August 2006, 08:14 PM   #5
cpemma is offline cpemma  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

You'll find extra-flexible wire sold for meter leads, though you're limited in colour and gauge. As Poobah says, it's more but thinner strands making up the wire, in this case 55 strands of 0.1mm diameter compared to 16 strands of 0.2mm in a similar rating ordinary hook-up wire.

Hide this!Advertise here!